TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Service Department
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Garden Tractor

Default Stihl Gold School- Any heads up info?

I'm gonna be attending the Stihl Gold School soon and just wanted to know if any body had any helpful info in regards to the testing and class info.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Grand Master PPEC Member

Watch out for the Shin drive tube during the test is the only thing I've heard about.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch View Post
Watch out for the Shin drive tube during the test is the only thing I've heard about.

That's the only question I missed. I hadn't seen ALL the different Stihl drive shafts, so I wasn't sure about this one. Stihl's Gold training is well worth the investment and Eddie Anderson is on of the best instructors I have ever met.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Master PPEC Member

Not sure if has changed since I went 5 years ago but when I went it was fairly simple. Not much different than the bronze or silver tests. Just a little more in depth. There is a hands on part of the test that is timed per station. Seems to be rushed but just do what you can to get done.
The written part of the test is better than most, its there to test what you know not trick you. If you are a good tech it will make perfect since and seem easy. Not like those eetc test that were written by people who read books and put in a lot of trick questions.
You get 1/2 a day at the factory and they put you up in a water front hotel. Enjoy the trip and have fun.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

waterfront? i had interstate front!

have to agree with doc...well worth the trip! i have told many that i just wish i could have had that training 25 years ago when i first started in this business. sending my son up in a couple of weeks.

as for the tests...not a cakewalk, but if you pay attention, and have had any experience, then you should not have a problem.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Speaking of tests, what do you think of the Briggs Master Service Tech and Kohler Expert Dealer Tests? Do you feel that passing them is something to be proud of or could any run of the mill tech. do well on them?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

took briggs mst in 1998 and thought it was a joke. same with kohler. the education depts of most mfgs are only there to employ someone and to make us spend our hard earned money and time in some bland hotel conference room several days during our "slow" time. i am tired of chicken dinners!