TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE BUSINESS / SUPPORT FLOOR: > Employment, Insurance and Finance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Master PPEC Member

We have a restaurant that only takes cash. They are in the worst part of town, in an ugly old building that you will miss if you don't know where to look. In spite of all the negative aspects of this business, they have a waiting line every day. The buffet line goes out the door. The take-out table is always full of orders. They have been in business for years and haven't changed a thing. They sell a great product, good food, and excellent service. I have made a special trip to the bank for cash because I forgot they didn't take credit cards! Didn't stop me from doing business with them. I have wondered what would happen if we did the same thing.
Unread 01-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

There are a couple small restaurants like that here, too. I think they are an exception, though. Reality is that plastic is going to only increase in use, and we have to accept it. It's really simple...pass the costs on to the consumers. That's what businesses do. Think about it.
Unread 01-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Administrator

It's a cost of doing business. It's different if you pay cash for a meal vs paying cash for a piece of equipment. Most can handle $30 to $50 for a few people out to dinner, but not too many can plunk down $300+ cash for a good walk behind and well over 2 grand for a piece of riding equipment. There are certain expenses that are necessary evils and this is one. We do take all CC's, but when people ask if we take Am Ex we do say we prefer MC, Visa or Discover. When you take cc's and your volume and average ticket are fairly high you can process directly with a major processing bank like First National Bank of Omaha. These smaller cc companies and processing centers are making a profit on every swipe too. (You should never pay a per transaction fee) It's just like 2 step distribution in our business. The more hands in the pot the more you pay, or less you make. Have a great day! Lisa