TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Advertising / Co-op
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Rear Engine Rider

Default Effective sales adverstising

I'm looking for an effective, worth-the-money, advertising campaign to increase new product sales.

My service numbers are fine at the moment, and I'm not really looking to take on much more in that department. For the size of the company and the space we have on-site, we're doing close to max for servicing. We could probably increase that a little bit by holding a larger parts inventory, but I've just come to the point where I don't really want to be investing anymore for "in-stock" parts.

I feel as though if I could boost my new equipment sales then I would be filling a void, and can certainly use some product turnover. What I feel I could target is a lot of the pre-season type sales. I know the larger stores have their snowblower inventory on display this time of year, and can only assume people are starting to buy. My sales don't pick up until snow is threatening to fly. I want to sell off my snowblower order that is currently sitting here so a second one can be released in December for in-season sales.

I'm not looking to move a truckload of units, I'm not that big. I'm only talking a couple dozen blowers.

If this proves effective then of course I would like to apply it to pre-season chainsaw sales, mowers, trimmers, blowers, you know the deal.

The problem is, I don't know what works, and I really don't want to throw away a ton of money in the process of finding out. I'd rather sit on my current profits on the plus side, selling a few units, instead of being in the negative with a bunch of advertising that doesn't work.

Who does radio? TV? Internet? Newspaper? Other ideas? What gets the most amount of people through your doors or on the phone with interest? Everybody wants something for nothing, and we clearly can't compete with a box store advertising a 30% off sale.

I've done some radio, some local newspapers, and some internet advertising. I feel as though I've wasted any money in those ventures because I did it on too small of a scale. It needs to be large enough, and frequent enough to catch peoples' attention. Where do you draw the line between not enough and too much?
Unread 10-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Master PPEC Member

Print and/or other visual advertising are the least effective. The brain can process audio faster than visual because the visual has to be converted to audio in your brain before it can be processed. Fewer people read newspapers and such as well, so if you're going to do a visual only ad, internet ads seem to be more effective.
Unread 10-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Garden Tractor

Default Mailer or email blast

Do you collect email address from your customers? We do an email blast with pre-season savings of new product both fall and early spring. As well as our pre-season service discount 20% off labor charges for snow product starting (this year) September 6th - October 15th then 10% off until November 12th. same in the spring depending on weather patterns sometime in Janurary to mid February 20% off and 10% into March.

this helps fill the void for service in the dry fall months and low snow months. It also helps with the load after the first snowfall when most people try to start the blower for the first time.

Getting these customers in early with the pre-season product does two things for new unit sales. End of season savings on lawn product and pre-season savings on snow product. When we let them know their 15 year old Toro needs paddles, scraper and lower panel replaced they start looking at new and this gives us some used machines to recondition and sell in season when used brings in good money.

The email cost us nothing, well it is included with our website cost so there is a cost involved.

It's a win, win, win all around.
Unread 10-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Rear Engine Rider

I haven't been collecting e-mail addresses from my customers, but it has crossed my mind before.

My target is to get new customers out there to come into the shop. I know I originally said I wanted to drive more sales than service, but in responding to your post I realized a slight error in my communications. Not only am I aiming for equipment sales, but expanding my name base is equally important.

The e-mail idea is a good idea to get the sales idea into customers' minds. There are still some that will buy something elsewhere then come in and say "oh I forgot you were right down the street from me, sorry"