TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Sales Department
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Master PPEC Member

Default Selling multiple lines

How many of you sell multiple lines of mowers? How do you sell one over the other, especially if they are of equal value?
Unread 02-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Not mowers as such, but we used to sell both Stihl and Husqvarna hand held. I didn't realize it at the time, but if a customer did not have a clear preference, it only led to confusion. When Husky cancelled us in 2000, I was a little nervous, but any lost business was quickly recovered by our Stihl sales. Since then, we have only focused on one line for each product category; makes life much easier. If you do carry competing lines, sell the one that you REALLY believe in and use personally. You will find that the other lines will eventually go away from your dealership.
Unread 02-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Mid-Size Mower

Default Good info up there!

That's good info up there. I will also add that while we don't necessarily sell "competing" lines, we do sell from the same group, Briggs PPG. What we have done is to have a "value" line, an intermediate line and a premium line. We do have some overlap, but it's more due to styling than price or features. We try to pick the products that are best out of each line and use it as an upsell to a higher quality product. In other words we "cherry pick" the best products from each line.
Unread 02-19-2014, 02:06 PM
Rear Engine Rider

I try to sell lines that compliment rather than compete with each other. I really don't want to be a "company store" with one line and have my eggs all in one basket. Programs, management, even ownership can change and I want to have alternatives should things go in a negative direction.

Our main line is Husqvarna. Ariens is a complimentary line, although there is naturally some overlap with consumer ZTR's. Snow product is all Ariens. Exmark is our commercial line with the Lazer Z's. We don't stock the Husky PZ's, which would try to compete with the Lazers, but do sell lot's of MZ's and MZT's. I also don't sell Quests or Pioneers which are comically over priced vs the other consumer Z's.