TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE MANUFACTURER'S AND DISTRIBUTOR'S FLOOR > Service Department
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-02-2010, 04:30 AM
String Trimmer

Unhappy 1980 Pulsa-jet Carb

Hello People, Over the decades, I've never had a problem with a Briggs carb until now. I have done everything from soaking it to rebuilding it. I have a couple of questions that only people servicing these carbs can answer.

Here's the engine #'s .... 130292 ... 1061 02 ... 80090806

I need to know Exactly what happens (with gas/air) when the needle doesn't shut off the fuel after it has been closed. I am a retired Ford engineer, and have worked the dynos ... running power runs manually. So, I know about A/F ratios, and ign. spark. Because the main brass jet leaks fuel when the needle is closed, this would richen the fuel mixture. WOULD THIS CONDITION IN ANYWAY, cause Sporadic Engine Performance ? What I mean by that is ..... The engine must have 7/8 choke on to run with power most of the time. However, 5 to 10% of the time it will run with maximum power with No-choke ( As it should be). It goes back and forth (Never knowing when) from time to time ... NUTS Isn't it ? I Do Realize the fact that when it has to be choked to run warm, that this indicates a fuel system restriction, or a mass air-leak. I have found Neither fuel restriction, or air-leak.

Another Bizarre occurance all happened within a week of clearing the 10" of snow last winter. This time the engine WOULD NOT RUN HOT WITH THE CHOKE ON (GREAT CHOKE OFF). One of the few times this happens. HOWEVER, AS I WAS CLEARING THE SNOW, I NOTICED THE FUEL TANK BECOMING WET ON TOP WITH RAW GAS. I continued to clear the snow with full engine power until I finished. So, while this leaking of fuel onto the fuel tank top was happening the snow blower worked just fine. Except for the raw fuel presenting a Fire safety hazzard, I was out of the woods. I replaced the carb to gas tank gasket with a new one, and tightened everything to make sure there were No-leaks. Upon do this, The next time I went to clear snow, I was back to square one. THE SAME OLD SH....T.
WHAT I MUST KNOW, (Given the above info), IS WHAT HAPPENED INTERNALLY/EXTERNALLY WITHIN THE CARB ?? I am Counting on You Experts to give me the Answers, or at Least some kind of Direction here. If this can happen to me, then It Must have Happened to someone else also.

CALLING ALL ENGINEERS to the Rescue. Please Advise me, Thanks, Nitrojc.
Unread 04-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Rear Engine Rider

Verify that the fuel cap is venting. The older Briggs caps had 3 holes drilled into the top that over time can become rusted shut.
Unread 04-03-2010, 02:45 AM
String Trimmer

Hello John, I did forget to mention, last year I replaced the cap with a new one. As a matter of fact, I first thought the raw fuel was coming from the cap dripping on to the gas tank, but the tank was less than 1/2 full.
What-Say-You-Now ... of this Mystery ? Thanks, Nitrojc.
Unread 04-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Tank or carb could be warped.
Try 2 or 3 gaskets instead of just 1
Unread 04-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Grand Master PPEC Member

Not sure if this will cure your problem, or not, but there's a tank repair kit for the pulsa-jets. It consists of a pin and small nylon washer that's fitted into a hole one place on the fuel tank. It's been too long so I forget where - sorry. PM me your address and I'll send you the components. It's called a anti flood kit, so it may help.

Last edited by grouch : 04-03-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Unread 04-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Master PPEC Member

Default same issue....kinda

our rental aerator..... some days it's fine, some days it's not. Same days it leaks between the carb, some days it doesn't. New carb, new tank, new gaskets, doubled gaskets....... same thing........

My solution was put a Honda GX120 with a bowl carb on it........I had enough. It was only 30 bucks more then the briggs.....

We'd sent it out on rental 2 or 3 times, would be fine, then it would come back with an issue. We'd clean it up put it back, it would run worse. Take it apart again put it back, it was ok. Go to rent it, wouldn't run unless almost on full choke. Customer leaves......all in the sudden it's fine. Run it for 2 days. It's fine. Send it out, starts leaking gas. Take it back. New tank and carb. Goes out 2 or 3 times........ok. Next time out, customer says had to run on choke to keep running. WTF!!!!

Run it at the shop, it's fine, but now it's leaking gas!!!

I had enough!!!

We checked head gasket, valves, put a new coil on it...... The only think I could think of was somehow the magnets on the flywheel became weak??? Affecting ignition.......or maybe the cam lobes were worn enough that they were affecting the lift and valve timing......... and maybe the new ethenol fuel couples with this was just enough to create the perfect storm of crap......

Why the tank leaks is beyond me........ All the mounting holes for the carb, intake, and tank mount lined right up with no stress. My tech said every time he pulled the carb off, the gasket was basically moosh. Bad material or maybe the alcohol.........????????
Unread 04-04-2010, 01:30 AM
String Trimmer

Exclamation Cylinder compression ?

Hello, By chance did anyone do a compression test ? I checked mine cold, and got 58 PSI MAX. Reading. I don't know whether that's acceptable ... Briggs has No Specs.
I didn't know there was an interchangeable carb for a replacement.
At some point, Did you try the Honda bowl carb ? Thanks, Nitrojc.

Last edited by NITROJC : 04-06-2010 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Add Info.
Unread 04-20-2010, 12:33 AM
String Trimmer

Default " Please Answer "

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITROJC View Post
Hello, By chance did anyone do a compression test ? I checked mine cold, and got 58 PSI MAX. Reading. I don't know whether that's acceptable ... Briggs has No Specs.
I didn't know there was an interchangeable carb for a replacement.
At some point, Did you try the Honda bowl carb ? Thanks, Nitrojc.
HELLO TALLIMECIA, Its been a couple of weeks now, would/can you answer the above questions ?
Especially the one about interchangeable carbs.
Thanks-So-Much, Nitrojc.
Unread 04-20-2010, 05:32 AM
Master PPEC Member

NITROJC,

No offense, but, unless I am mistaken, it seems you are a consumer. Take this to your local small engine shop. I am sure they would be willing to help you but most likely, just like us, they are not likely to help you for free. This site is not here to pass out free mechanical advice to the consumer. If you insist on free advise, go to any number of other sites on the internet where you will find some shade tree or retired mechanic (these are not the same thing) who may have experienced just what you are experiencing.

Sorry if my response seems harsh.

Good luck
Unread 04-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Grand Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorPower View Post
NITROJC,

No offense, but, unless I am mistaken, it seems you are a consumer. Take this to your local small engine shop. I am sure they would be willing to help you but most likely, just like us, they are not likely to help you for free. This site is not here to pass out free mechanical advice to the consumer. If you insist on free advise, go to any number of other sites on the internet where you will find some shade tree or retired mechanic (these are not the same thing) who may have experienced just what you are experiencing.

Sorry if my response seems harsh.

Good luck
hobbytalk.com would be a good place for this, or that "perr.com?" site.