TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE MANUFACTURER'S AND DISTRIBUTOR'S FLOOR > Equipment / Products
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Default A Top Notch Distributor

We have had the opportunity to work with some very good distributors over the years. A good distributor is such a valuable asset. Always just a friendly phone call away is Century Equipment, our Toro Distributor. Do you realize your distributors face many of the same problems we dealers do. The mass merchants effect them also. A "healthy" distributor needs a network of profitable successful dealers. Who are some of your favorite distributors?

Last edited by dante : 07-12-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Unread 10-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Rear Engine Rider

Let's hope that Toro continues to utilize distributors. With the changes they have made in the past five to ten years, I would not be shocked if they decided to squeeze the distributors out of the chain. Anywhere they can see an opportunity to squeeze margin they will be looking very hard at.
Unread 11-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Mid-Size Mower

Default Distributors

I agree Dante, Good distributors are good, but some do just enough to get by. I have 3 that go way beyond what I consider there job. These 3 have helped me find products that they did not even carry. While on this subject, does anyone know where I might find some 3pt log splitter at wholesale that can be sold at a reasonable retail and still have a good product.
Unread 11-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Master PPEC Member

SpeeCo is the brand I sell the most of great product and resonible prices
Unread 07-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

I decided to check out some of the older posts and came across this one. There are a lot of negative comments about TORO and Jerry Pate Distributing on the website so I decided to post my own comments about them. We have been a TORO dealer since 2000. Just like any other relationship, we have had good times and bad times. We don't always agree with them and we don't always do it their way. We are very selective when it comes to stocking wholegoods. We know what sells in our area and what doesn't. We have let them talk us into stocking a particular mower that sold really well in other areas,only to have it sit there. Our mistake for not following the sales history for our area. But, the sales staff at Jerry Pate has always been there for us. If an order gets screwed up, they are on it. They are a great bunch of people to deal with for the most part.
Every distributor, like every dealer, has its strengths and weaknesses. If you can't tolerate their weaknesses, pick another line. It's not like there aren't more out there looking for dealers.
Unread 07-14-2008, 10:26 AM

Texas Outdoor Power Equipment is our Scag/Echo/Bear Cat/Billy Goat/Encore distributor. They've been really good to work with and I wish more distributors were like them. Seems like more and more companies are going dealer direct. Husqvarna, Bad Boy, Snapper, Honda, Gravely, and others are all dealer direct, which is nice as margins are kept decent, but companies like Bad Boy and Snapper need to warehouse parts in multiple regions around the country. Takes 2 days to get parts with either, sometimes 3 with Snapper.

TOP's best trait may be that they literally leave it up to the dealers on what to order. On things like displays for Echo and what not, they've been more than helpful though. They came and put up my Echo display at no charge, which I was very impressed with. Tied up 2 guys for an entire day.
Unread 07-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Grand Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb8100 View Post
but companies like Bad Boy and Snapper need to warehouse parts in multiple regions around the country. Takes 2 days to get parts with either, sometimes 3 with Snapper.
Add Ariens/Gravely to that list. I don't get it.. they've got a warehouse and shipping point in Dallas with Stens, can't they lease out some of that space to the Ariens/Gravely side of it to at least stock SOME parts instead of everything coming from WI?
Unread 07-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Oldtimer

We severed our relationship with Jerry Pate Turf Supply in 2004.

We replaced toro & LBoy with Snapper & Stihl.

JimB
Unread 07-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB2006 View Post
Add Ariens/Gravely to that list. I don't get it.. they've got a warehouse and shipping point in Dallas with Stens, can't they lease out some of that space to the Ariens/Gravely side of it to at least stock SOME parts instead of everything coming from WI?
It takes a while to get parts to NC as well from WI. We wait longer for Ariens/Gravely parts than for any other line, and tend to have a higher backorder % from them than most of our vendors.
Unread 07-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Garden Tractor

Default Top Distributer

Our best distributer by a mile is Bryan Equipment the Stihl Distributer for our area. Sales reps are knowledgable, helpful when you need them. And if you are honest they will do whatever it takes to solve a problem. They also back you up if you tell a customer that an abused unit is not warranty.