TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE BUSINESS / SUPPORT FLOOR: > Website Design
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Master PPEC Member

Looks great! Easy to get around! I like the pics of everyone. Nice to have a face when you are talking to someone you have never met!
We are working on ours too.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:34 AM
String Trimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwaters View Post
I really like the site, but I found it hard to tell what brands you carry, It would be nice if you listed all of the lines you have in the products page.

Good luck on the online parts store.
I actually had a separate tab for the supplier - which I recently renamed to Brands. The website is still a work in progress and, as far as I'm concerned, will never be "done".

I'm in my second rebuild of it now as well as entering items until I'm cross-eyed for the online store.
Pensacola, FL
Seville Power Online - Your resource for after market and replacement parts!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhailnmc View Post
I actually had a separate tab for the supplier - which I recently renamed to Brands. The website is still a work in progress and, as far as I'm concerned, will never be "done".

I'm in my second rebuild of it now as well as entering items until I'm cross-eyed for the online store.
I know about the cross-eyed feeling. I have been updating ours for the past week, especially at night. I have re-done it three times in a week. I think I may have the look I want, finally!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Master PPEC Member

Well we have a new website. We just got up and running with arinet. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet! Has good and bad areas. Let me know what you think of it.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 AM
Garden Tractor

Default THE FIX Repair Shop website upgrade

Ive had the new site up for a little over a week. I Would love feedback (good or bad). I'm in the process of debugging. Of course, this has been a 6 month process that never seems to end.
www.TheFixRepairShop.com
Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 AM
Master PPEC Member

Looks really good! I like it because it is simple and easy to use. Great job.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:59 AM
bgsengine

Very nice. Well built website. At least it is not a "cookie cutter" website like those from ARI (Slick but they look just like every other ARI website on the net.. seen one, seen them all..) (Can you tell I hate cookie cutter websites.. I built my own from scratch, too - http://bgsengineclinic.com/ and http://shop.bgsengineclinic.com/ - and host it myself on my own dedicated server.. )

Just 2 things I would comment on - both being your contact info - First off, you're going to be getting tons of spam at that email address by using a mailto: link - There are robots that crawl the web and pick up email addresses like that - I used to get 1500 - 2000 spam emails *a day* as a result, until I gave that up and created a contact form..(and "unplugged" the old email address)
The other thing you need to watch for is your contact form - make sure every input is validated ( I would assume it is, but there's tons of "contact us" form software out there that you can download that still is not secure.) - hackers like to use those forms to inject spam (which ends up getting your server IP address on the spam blacklist) - So it would be something to watch for if you start getting "weird" emails that make no sense...

Other than that, looks great. Did you do the web page design and layout yourself?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Garden Tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsengine View Post
Very nice. Well built website. At least it is not a "cookie cutter" website like those from ARI (Slick but they look just like every other ARI website on the net.. seen one, seen them all..) (Can you tell I hate cookie cutter websites.. I built my own from scratch, too - http://bgsengineclinic.com/ and http://shop.bgsengineclinic.com/ - and host it myself on my own dedicated server.. )

Just 2 things I would comment on - both being your contact info - First off, you're going to be getting tons of spam at that email address by using a mailto: link - There are robots that crawl the web and pick up email addresses like that - I used to get 1500 - 2000 spam emails *a day* as a result, until I gave that up and created a contact form..(and "unplugged" the old email address)
The other thing you need to watch for is your contact form - make sure every input is validated ( I would assume it is, but there's tons of "contact us" form software out there that you can download that still is not secure.) - hackers like to use those forms to inject spam (which ends up getting your server IP address on the spam blacklist) - So it would be something to watch for if you start getting "weird" emails that make no sense...

Other than that, looks great. Did you do the web page design and layout yourself?
It's a Wordpress template that was modified. Thanks for the input, I'll take out the email and adjust the contact form.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

What's a phone book? I vaguely remember one hanging from the wall under the rotary dial phone. The Yellow Pages are still delivered to our office but nobody uses them. Any business without a user friendly web site is left out in the cold.
A little different here in Canada. I work for the Briggs and Stratton distributor, we only offer on line ordering to dealers no direct sales to the end user. Most American on line outlets will not ship into Canada because of freight and brokerage costs plus paperwork so it works well for our brick and mortar dealers. IMHO, this is how it should be although many consumers don't like it. The manufacturers and distributors should not be directly competing with their own dealers.
Now the dilemma. I understand many people live in isolated areas and have come to rely on online ordering. I will refer these requests to a dealer with such service but do have a problem with dealers drop shipping directly from our warehouse into areas that have established outlets. This seems unfair to the local shop who is now looking after warranty parts and service along with the squawking. One of my co workers routinely refers consumer calls to an online retailer, saves him time but is it fair?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM
bgsengine

Quote:
Originally Posted by roym View Post
This seems unfair to the local shop who is now looking after warranty parts and service along with the squawking. One of my co workers routinely refers consumer calls to an online retailer, saves him time but is it fair?
This is, and always has been a "cut throat" business for as long as I can remember - as long as manufacturers keep setting up new dealers on every street corner that have yet to 'earn their stripes" , it always will be.

bigger (smarter) dealers and shops will stay up with technology and can fulfill the needs of online buyers as well...

"Fair" is relative...

an aggressive start up that can provide 5 star service and keep customers happy will usually stay in business if they manage their finances and planning properly.. and edge out the "old school" shops that keep trying to do business as usual and resist the winds of change.