TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Off-Topic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Default Hi-jacking your business

How do you other dealers feel about someone trying to take your business out from under you? Here's what happened recently; my wife and I have run our dealership for 18 years and we finally grew enough to support another employee. This spring, doctors (2 of them) informed me that my knees were worn out and I could no longer work full time. My wife began taking over more of my duties (shop scheduling, making decisions, etc.) and I began staying home more. I am still fully involved with the business and am working from home as much as possible. Rumors got started around town that I was in very poor health and couldn't work at all. Next thing you know, a local hardware store is contacting Stihl about a dealership (he didn't have any kind of repair facility or tech) and he has approached my tech about hiring him away from me. If he wanted a Stihl dealership that badly, why didn't he do the stand-up thing and talk to me about a buy-out? Does this seem underhanded or is it just me? BTW, when our tech found out what the guy was offering to pay, he just laughed.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Totally agree with you!
Old 11-19-2014, 12:36 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

That is underhanded I sincerely hope the Stihl rep talks to you before making any moves. You have worked hard for him and deserve some loyalty too.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

He has already told this guy that there will NEVER be another Stihl dealer in our town as long as we are in business. Besides, as my wife and I were just talking, if you wanted a Stihl or any other line dealership, why not approach the existing dealer about buying his business intact, rather than starting from scratch and having to compete with an established dealer.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:18 PM
Rear Engine Rider

You are just a lawn mower shop in most peoples eyes. That's the way it's always been and always will be.

At least Stihl is doing the honorable thing and keeping their word about adding a new dealer. Some distributors use the swinging door test to determine how close to set up a new dealer. If both dealer's doors are swung open at the same time and they don't hit each other, then, the dealers are far enough apart.

The hardware store owner might be a good prospect if you ever decide to sell.

JimB
Oldtimer
Old 11-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

There is a local ag dealer who is waiting for Stihl. He would be the best prospect for both the product and the community. When we do get ready to go home, he is the first one I will talk to. Our TM is already on board for this to happen, the main thing I want is to sell my business intact, not break it up or simply liquidate.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:14 AM
Master PPEC Member

Agreed. I believe you read the situation right. Makes ya sick tho.