TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Off-Topic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Walk Behind Mower

Default Wow

never any worthwhile stuff on this board anymore. Why not shut it down. So many other places to get real info and post.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

It has been quiet but I still check in. Mowergirl needs to do something outrageous and stir things up.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:06 AM
String Trimmer

What other sites are there please?
Old 11-17-2014, 03:28 PM
Rear Engine Rider

Stick a fork in it. I think it's done.

JimB
Old 11-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Master PPEC Member

Sorry ROYM, Can't think of any thing to stir up!! It would be nice if a message could be sent to all members asking why they don't get on here anymore. I still use some of the posts for ideas.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Rear Engine Rider

I think it will come back to life, eventually. Till then be patient or move on.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:07 PM
Garden Tractor

While I have not been a frequent contributor, I still monitor this forum and contribute when I feel I have something worthwhile to say or something that may provoke a dialog. My first thought was that this forum is so frequently hijacked that it is beyond annoying. But then I began to reflect and re-read the "What-Why-Who" tab at the top. A part of it reads:
THE PPE CONGRESS IS AN OPEN FORUM INTENDED TO PROVIDE POSITIVE FEED BACK TO DEALERS, DISTRIBUTORS, MANUFACTURERS, AND OTHERS RELATED TO OUR INDUSTRY.

I now realize that for the most part, Distributors and Manufacturers still don't give a damn about our ideas, thoughts or needs and I highly doubt that they even give this forum the time of day. Their only concern is their pie in the sky sales goals they will attain by making mediocre products that they can dump into the mass marketing channels. The problem is that it has been many years since the manufacturers have had the same goals as we dealers. Being successful is more than being profitable or having the largest market share. We dealers aspire to be profitable, to grow our businesses and to even attain the experience and expertise to become a mentor to our fellow independent dealers.
The problem is that we all have something that no longer exists (for the most part) at the manufacturing level. We still care about our integrity, our values, the value of our product, our employees and our customers. Our purpose was to provide dealer input and ideas to align our goals for the improvement of the industry but no one was listening.
Most people participating in this forum have skin in the game. Our day is spent keeping our stores successful, our financial position secure and our perpetuating our legacy. Our educational backgrounds vary from not finishing high school to MBA's but we all have gained practical, well rounded, hands on experience. Our idea of success is improving sales, improving profits and strengthening the security of our future in our business. Most manufacturers are run by MBA's who have never run a business with their name on the counter and their main goal is to achieve their sales goals, collect their bonuses and be ever vigilant for the next job opportunity with a bigger title and larger salary.
This forum is still relevant, it still has value and need among us dealers who must survive in spite of our manufacturers. Individually, we don't have all of the answers but collectively we are the ultimate resource for the perpetuation and improvement of the industry. We all have hoped that someday our manufactures would realize that quality products with dealer support is the backbone of their existence. We can only hope that we are still here helping each other when they come looking for answers.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Rear Engine Rider

I still visit daily to see what is happening. I only contribute when I think I have something of value, though. With the two recent seasons being terrible for us, I haven't had much to talk about that other dealers would want to hear.

This could come across as being a jerk, but that is not my intention. If you want a conversation, start one. There are people like me that might be hesitant to begin the topic, but are more than happy to jump in once someone else starts it. There are several different areas on this forum to talk in, and you don't have to know everything about the subject to say something. Something I have found to work at times is to ask a stupid question. That tactic was used with substitute teachers my class had when I was elementary school (I didn't do it, but I enjoyed the fact that it delayed actual work).

As for the spam, I am not familiar with vBulletin, but I know from my experience creating websites that spam is an ever growing problem. There are people with desire to create problems instead of working to solve them. With sites that are done on a volunteer basis, you do as much as you can when you can, but bills still have to be paid, and some things have to take second place.

I don't have the knowledge to share that many other dealers have. I have been in our store full time since 2003, and during summer breaks before that. I grew up here. However, my skills tend more toward technology and marketing, and repair takes a backseat to that. I know that there is potential left for this site, but the people who come to the site will have to pitch in to bring that potential to the surface.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:55 AM
Super Administrator

This forum is supported by the cream of the crop dealers. If we weren't progressive and didn't care, this forum would not exist. Let's face it we all face many challenges daily whether personal or professional, that's what keeps us going.

With reference to the spam posts. Trust me, we monitor this site almost 24/7. There is never a spam post or spammer on here more than a day. We have to prune their posts and record their ip addresses and e-mails in a permanently banned file, it's a two or three step process, it's not just a click of the mouse.

Let's kick start it again...Watch for some posts coming soon...
Old 11-18-2014, 09:21 AM
Rear Engine Rider

I like others still visit frequently but respond infrequently. Reading statements like Rentrick posted is what keeps me coming back. After reading statements like that it actually seems to pick me up like "damn I do matter". I'm just a small fish in the big pond trying to make a living doing something I really enjoy.