TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE BUSINESS / SUPPORT FLOOR: > Website Design
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Rear Engine Rider

Default Website feature

I've just added a feature to our website, and I want to see what you all think. This is a cost estimator for our customers. It isn't finished, so I'll take any comments. One major thing, the prices you'll see aren't the final prices, they are there for planning purposes. You can see it here, Cost estimator. I appreciate you taking a look.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Grand Master PPEC Member

Hmm.. I'd add a drop down list for your manufacturer section, and try to mainly include the brands you willingly service, and then include an "other" selection. Your diagnosis questions could also be given yes or no answers.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Dear Colefarm, Pretty neat. You have a mis-spelled word "have" in the red paragraph on the right. I would also add if they purchased the mower from you, and a place for the complete model and serial number of the equipment, that way when looking at the form, you may know if you can or can't work on it, or if it's old, even get parts for it. Neat concept! Good Luck...Lisa
Old 06-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Rear Engine Rider

lisadocut- I knew I mispelled have somewhere, but I couldn't find it. My mind kept correcting it when I looked at it. One thing, though. That paragraph is supposed to be blue. If it is showing as red, I'm going to have to look at the code and see what is going on.

GWB2006- On the yes/no answers. That might come in a future version. I only had about 45 minutes to spend on this today, so I didn't do anything complex.

On the other comments, this is mainly just for the customer's information. I don't have it setup to email to us, and don't know that I plan to. The main intention of this form is to let them see what it could cost, and then decide if they want to bother with it. Essentially, it is intended to be a timesaver for them.

The information at the top is so that they can look at everything on one page. It doesn't have any affect on the prices given. I can do that, but it will have to wait until winter when I am stuck inside for longer periods of time. Looks like the next step is to decide how sophisticated I want this to be.

Thanks for taking a look at it. Any other comments?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Master PPEC Member

Default well

this doesn't make sense to me. Why do something like this when you can charge them a to look at the machine and estimate the repair?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Rear Engine Rider

This is mainly for the people who do not come in. Those who call us asking about the cost of repair can use this instead of having to pick up the phone. It can also help eliminate those mowers that aren't worth repairing that get left on us when the owners decide not to fix them. If the mower doesn't come in, it won't get left on us.

Another reason, I have a college degree in computer graphics and this helps me develop my skills in PHP.

So I guess the real reason is, because I can.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Master PPEC Member

Is the current version the version that was discussed above?

How is this working for you? Do you know if you have many visitors to this page?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Rear Engine Rider

I haven't made any changes to it since I started this thread. I haven't found anything to add, yet.

In March, the page was visited 14 times. Not a tremendous number, but I haven't advertised it either. As far as people telling us they have used it, no one has. From a return on investment standpoint, it was a waste of time. But as I said, it helped me learn some new things in PHP which I was able to use in other things.

I still don't know if I will work on it any more. If anyone has a suggestion for a change or addition, I'll look into it.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Walk Behind Mower

While I understand why you have it I didn't like when I put in a 3 yr old Cub Cadet that cost $3000. and basically needed new coil and it told me
"Based on the average rate of depreciation, your mower is worth around $0."

If I was a customer I'd think
A: this guy doesn't really want to work on it
B: THERE IS NO WAY MY 3 YR OLD MOWER IS JUNK AND WORTHLESS
(and yes, I used all caps because they will be screaming at you )
C: Even if I would buy a new mower from this guy he isn't going to give me
anything on trade in so I might as well go somewhere else !
Old 03-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Walk Behind Mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallimeca View Post
this doesn't make sense to me. Why do something like this when you can charge them a to look at the machine and estimate the repair?
Unless you are charging a ridiculous amount to quote repair I suspect you are loosing money doing it anyhow when you figure actual time and disruption to rest of business.