TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Equipment / Products
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-01-2015, 11:24 PM
Master PPEC Member

Default Opti-2 mix oil

Has any of you guys, especially Stihl and Husqvarna dealers, ever heard of any warranty being voided or questioned because a customer used Opti-2? Have you ever heard of the "oil" being "recycled hydraulic oil"?
Unread 01-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Have not heard of warranty being voided. That said if the failure is oil related obviously neither Husqvarna or Stihl will cover it and you can almost be assured that Opti won't step up and cover that. It has been a number of years now but we had some issues that were oil related with Opti. They have apparently re-formulated and fixed the problem.
Unread 01-06-2015, 02:24 PM
Master PPEC Member

my vote is not to get in a ****ing match with 2 companies over warranty. When a customer tells me that I suggest going to the guy selling the opti oil for warranty service. When they tell me they can not do warranty on that product I just inform them then why are they taking warranty advice from that dealer, as they are apparently not knowlegeable as to what is covered when they can not do it. Just follow the manufacturers instructions for warranty or do not expect it to be covered.
Unread 01-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Rear Engine Rider

Default The Facts

Summary of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Consumer purchasers of such components such as automotive oil and filters are sometimes told by dealer's service writer or mechanics that a brand replacement part/product cannot be used in the consumer's vehicle during the warranty period. The claim is made, that use of the brand will "void the warranty" with the statement of implication that only the original equipment brand may be used. This of course tends to cast doubt on the quality of the replacement part/product.

That claim is simply not true. If the consumer asks for the statement in writing, he will not receive it. Nevertheless, the consumer may feel uneasy about using replacement parts/products that are not original equipment. With the large number of do-it-yourselfers who may prefer to purchase a different brand of part/product, this misleading claim should be corrected.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. SS 2301-1312 (1982), and general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of product (or any other article) unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the warranty.

So if the consumer is told that only the original brand of part/product will not void the warranty, he should request that the OE part/product be supplied free of charge. If he is charged for the part/product, the manufacturer will be violating the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act or other applicable law.

By providing this information to the consumers, the aftermarket industry can help to combat the erroneous claim that a brand of replacement part/product other than the original equipment will "void the warranty".

It should be noted that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a federal law that applies to consumer products. The Federal Trade commission has authority to enforce the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, including obtaining injunctions and orders containing affirmative relief. In addition, a consumer can bring suit under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

"No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...."(15 U.S.C. 2302(c).
Unread 01-07-2015, 01:05 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

We sell Opti and have yet to hear of them refusing a warranty claim if the product was used as directed. If the unit fails due to a lubrication problem the claim goes to Interlube, the OEM is not involved so it doesn't matter whether the seller is a dealer for the equipment. For the record, legitimate claims are rare.
A dealer I worked for rejected a claim involving Opti 4. We put the oil in his Toro Super Recycler, three seasons later he returned demanding warranty on a blown motor. The moron had the other five bottles with him, he had never changed the oil or done any other service. He figured buying the product was all that was required.
Unread 01-07-2015, 01:22 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Opti-2 is 100:1 ratio most equipment manufacturers require 50:1 some 40:1
So right there is one reason of voiding a warranty.
So if Opti recommends 100:1 as one fits all mix, they need to stand behind if it did not work out.
My oil matches the equipment brand I sell, so if something happens, no oil excuse I have to listen too.
If you use any brand oil that also makes equipment you should be ok, as long its the right ratio, but I would wait till after the warranty period is over.( for you peeps)
Its amazing if bad gas causes equipment failure, equipment owner does not have a tantrum with the gas station, only with the repair place, its like the equipment is supposed to be able to run on crappy gas.
Unread 01-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
Summary of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Consumer purchasers of such components such as automotive oil and filters are sometimes told by dealer's service writer or mechanics that a brand replacement part/product cannot be used in the consumer's vehicle during the warranty period. The claim is made, that use of the brand will "void the warranty" with the statement of implication that only the original equipment brand may be used. This of course tends to cast doubt on the quality of the replacement part/product.

That claim is simply not true. If the consumer asks for the statement in writing, he will not receive it. Nevertheless, the consumer may feel uneasy about using replacement parts/products that are not original equipment. With the large number of do-it-yourselfers who may prefer to purchase a different brand of part/product, this misleading claim should be corrected.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. SS 2301-1312 (1982), and general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of product (or any other article) unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the warranty.

So if the consumer is told that only the original brand of part/product will not void the warranty, he should request that the OE part/product be supplied free of charge. If he is charged for the part/product, the manufacturer will be violating the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act or other applicable law.

By providing this information to the consumers, the aftermarket industry can help to combat the erroneous claim that a brand of replacement part/product other than the original equipment will "void the warranty".

It should be noted that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a federal law that applies to consumer products. The Federal Trade commission has authority to enforce the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, including obtaining injunctions and orders containing affirmative relief. In addition, a consumer can bring suit under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

"No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...."(15 U.S.C. 2302(c).
Under this act they can not require a brand of oil. However they can require a grade or standard of oil that can be matched from other brands. This is what the major brands do when they require JASO FD certified oil mixed at 50:1. Opti oil mixed at 100:1 and not JASO FD Certified oil it can void the warranty, as it is not the minimum recommended service for the equipment. However if for example as this happened to me I had mantis tiller that had internal failure where the customer used Redmax oil, they responded that the oil met the standards and covered the warranty. I have also seen the same thing with a Redmax using Echo oil. If you go to an update they are saying that the 100:1 oil mixes DO NOT MEET THE STANDARDS that they require, and cause failures. It does not matter if it causes problems or not they have an excuse to void the warranty.

Last edited by rwaters : 01-07-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Unread 01-07-2015, 07:26 PM
Rear Engine Rider

I have used Opti-2 mixed @ 100:1 since 1983 without any problems. We use 89 octane ethanol free gas mixed @ 100:1 as our shop fuel and it goes in all 4 cycle engine we sell or service. We also use it in all 2 cycle engines that come through our shop if the customer doesn't request TruFuel or MotoMix.

The only straight gas I have ever allowed in my store is TruFuel without the oil.

Oldtimer
Unread 01-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
I have used Opti-2 mixed @ 100:1 since 1983 without any problems. We use 89 octane ethanol free gas mixed @ 100:1 as our shop fuel and it goes in all 4 cycle engine we sell or service. We also use it in all 2 cycle engines that come through our shop if the customer doesn't request TruFuel or MotoMix.

The only straight gas I have ever allowed in my store is TruFuel without the oil.

Oldtimer
That is your call and hopefully you can fight with companies over warranty issues that arise. Personally I do not want to spend the unpaid time fighting this and suggest 50:1 mixed gas. But if you have to send the customer to another dealer for warranty do not expect them not to throw it back at you as technically it does void the warranty.
Unread 01-09-2015, 04:31 PM
Rear Engine Rider

Quote:
That is your call and hopefully you can fight with companies over warranty issues that arise. Personally I do not want to spend the unpaid time fighting this and suggest 50:1 mixed gas. But if you have to send the customer to another dealer for warranty do not expect them not to throw it back at you as technically it does void the warranty.
I have used Opti-2 mixed @ 100:1 in several thousand pieces of equipment and have never had a problem. My introduction to Opti-2 was in 1983 when Echo had it private labeled and mixed @ 100:1. We have sold Opti-2 to be used in ultralight aircraft powered by Rotax 503 engines and the pilots are betting their lives that 100:1 won't let them down.

We are currently authorized to perform warranty on > 40 brands of equipment so we are very familiar with warranty policies and procedures.

Mixing Opti-2 or Amsoil Saber at ratios heavier than 100:1 is like trying to reinvent the wheel. They are 100:1 oils and should be used at that ratio for max performance.

Oldtimer