TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Sales Department
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Mid-Size Mower

Default Opti-4 and 2 oils

Is anyone selling the Opti-4 oil in their new equipment? I know they double the engine manufacturers warranty on internal parts, does that include the new 3 year warranty on Briggs and Kohler Command Pro engines? How are they to deal with regarding the warranty claims process (if anyone has ever had to deal with that)? Just looking for that edge in whole goods sales. Thanks.
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Rear Engine Rider

We sold it as optional, not auto installed. It sold well and profited a bunch. We never had to file a claim though so I don't know about that part.
Unread 03-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Rear Engine Rider

I have been using Opti-2 since 1983 and selling it since 1985.

I started my equipment business in 1985 and have never allowed straight gas in the shop. We use Opti-2 in everything we service and just about everything we sell. The exception is new Stihl equipment and we use MotoMix for starting.

We purchase ethanol free gas and add opti-2 when it is delivered.

Opti-4 is well worth the price and we have a few commercial cutters who use it in Z mowers. We had one warranty claim which was promptly paid.

Oldtimer
Unread 03-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
We use Opti-2 in everything we service
This includes running it in all 4 cycle engines as well?

Personally, I use Opti-2 exclusively for everything 2-cycle. Only exception is the TruFuel or the VP SEF fuels. I don't know what oil they use.

On the topic of canned fuel, I just serviced several carburetors for a fire department that uses canned fuel as is ONLY fuel source. Those were the cleanest carburetors I have EVER seen considering its been about 2 years since they were serviced, and considering the dirty nature of their business. I have seen filthy carburetors on the same equipment after just six months of running gas station gas. This is a good investment for this department.
Unread 03-20-2014, 12:00 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

We sell a lot of Opti and have yet to hear anyone bad mouth the product. Funniest case was a mower that came back with a trashed engine in the third year, it was absolutely filthy. He bought the oil with the mower but had never used it, just added gas and cut grass until she blew. Threatened to sue when the service department said no warranty.
Unread 03-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Rear Engine Rider

Quote:
This includes running it in all 4 cycle engines as well?
We use it in everything except diesel, LP & NG engines. If anyone has any questions just give me a call.

Jim Brazil
Seville Power Equipment
Unread 03-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Mid-Size Mower

Default Good idea then?

So it sounds like it might be a good idea to offer it as an upgrade then? I'll have to question of few customers and see if they think it would be a good idea and worth the extra cost. Thanks for the input.
Unread 03-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Grand Master PPEC Member

We used Opti-2 mixed fuel in everything, two cycle or four cycle, all the time, no exceptions. Had several lawn care folks using it also, one reason being it was impossible for their crews to get fuel cans mixed up - they only had one fuel for all their equipment.
Unread 03-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Garden Tractor

Send a message via MSN to Jbarrette5

We use nothing but opti2 in all of our products accept when selling a Husqvarna piece of equipment. We have had to put in two claims in the 8 yrs of selling the product and no issues. That being said, interlude internationals policies have changed. For the customer to get warranty coverage, if the customer does not purchased the necessary bottles required for his/her machine on a yearly basis (maintenance) the warranty will be void.

I am in Ontario, Canada and this is what we are being told. Great product they're just buckling down a bit to make sure customers purchasing this product.
Unread 04-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Opti is a dealer only product that is a win / win for the customer and the dealer. We sell lots of it. If you aren't carrying this product you are watching dollars walk out your door. Even dealers who only sell engines can offer this product. The quantity the customer needs to buy is all based on engine size. For mowers it is only 3 small bottles. Larger engines need a gallon jug. The customer buys it at the time of purchase, has the dealer install that oil for start up and that is it. The customer does not have to buy more oil every year. Most continue to buy it as they see the value. Oil is cheap, engines are expensive. If you are in snow country the Opti 5W30 oil makes an incredible difference starting engines in sub zero temperatures.

Opti claims their stabilizer is the only petroleum based product on the market. It is the only stabilizer we will use. All of us see the problems alcohol creates with engines so it doesn't make any sense to add more with an alcohol based stabilizer. Their 2 cycle oil is very popular since one mix does all oil / fuel ratios.

We have had one claim in many years of selling this product and it was paid promptly with no hassle. We avoid many other products because they are sold through the box stores. We found that we spent our time educating the customer the first time then they would just buy it at a box store. With Opti it is dealer only. You can't go wrong with this product.