TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Stolen Equipment, Bad Checks & Fraud
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

I'd like to know the whole scoop to this story as well. Something seems fishy. I also read the posts left from the video and they are stupid. 10k is not alot of money?
we had a guy buy a new zero turn a few years back and used it for awhile and came in one day and complained about the cut. We talked for a few munutes and told he how we'd look at it and check it out and see what the problem was and get it back to him. His replay is " well, I don't know if i want it back" After letting him know that wasn;t gonna fly and he'd have to get the manufacturer involved in a buyback, he left.
Sometimes these people get buyers remorse cause when they get it home they have second thoughts, but I've never heard of one going all year.
I'd like to know what they fixed under warranty.
Unread 02-21-2010, 03:55 AM
Master PPEC Member

I, too, would like to know the details of this lawsuit. There are several posts on various websites, but they all have the same info. Why did the customer sue only the dealer, why not the manufacturer? The dealer didn't print the sales literature that said the equipment was built tough. What were the repairs? It would be helpful to all of us to know the details so that we can protect ourselves and our customers from this type of situation.
Unread 02-22-2010, 04:11 AM
Rear Engine Rider

http://facesoflawsuitabuse.org/2008/...er-all-summer/

http://www.uschambermagazine.com/art...-lawsuit-abuse

http://www.fayettedailynews.com/arti...p?id_news=3189 Have to read down a few paragraphs for this story. It was a $6,000 riding mower

I can not find the official court ruling online, sure would interesting reading.
Unread 03-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Garden Tractor

I know Rick I quess I could give him a call and see if he would tell me the story.
Unread 03-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I know Rick I quess I could give him a call and see if he would tell me the story.
Better yet, call him and tell him to join up here, tell us the story, and then be a part of PPECongress! I am sure he could impart valuable info to us that no one could tell better than he could!
Unread 09-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Garden Tractor

There is a guy on lawnsite sueing a dealer in North Carolina for selling him a bad boy diesel, and telling him it would perform well in his grasses. He had an idler go out, and had a couple of small issues right out of the box with 36 hours on mower. Dealer offered him a refund with 10% restock, but he said he shouldn't lose money on the deal, factory also offered a sweet trade deal on an outlaw. I visited with him on the phone quite a bit, even offered to trade him for a hustler since he said he likes them and should have bought one. I tried to explain to him that "cut quality" is legally defined as opinion, and will hold no legal reference in court, along with any verbal that a salesman made.... The mower cuts the grass just fine, he said it leaves extra clumps when his turf is wet that his other mower didn't leave. Just because you don't like something you bought, doesn't justify a lawsuit. There is no reason why that dealer should have to eat thousands and buy a used machine back just because a couple of things broke and had to be warrantied, and the customer doesn't like the way it discharges grass. I can't believe his lawyer thinks they even had a chance in hell in getting anything out of a lawsuit. My buddy is a lawyer and he laughed about the deal. He said the second money is exchanged on equipment the deal is done no matter what. If you don't like something about it, he said to sell it take a loss, and buy something you think you will like better. We even have a right of rescission 3 days on purchase, but it is really designed for a mobile home purchase, you cant even use it on a car....let alone a lawn mower.
This is year is my first, I had a guy threatnen to sue me over a $50 bill he received. Here is the story, guy brought a pos mtd have taken apart with wiring everywhere. He said he cant figure out the wiring to make it run. I told him to buy a new one for $900 at wal mart, he said he only had $100. I told him we would get in running and do $100 worth of work to it only. We rewired it, cleaned carb (because it still wouldn't start), changed oil and filter, blew out air filter, and got it running. He picked it up and brings it back the next day complaining its still having a lag when starting & still with all the pieces off the frame. I explained to him the valves need to be adjusted, but you have to grind that style down, and it just wasn't enough money. I told him if he brought the rest of his mower up here, and gave me another $50 I would put mower together and adjust valves, and explained he needed a new air filter, blades, the spindles really needed to be replaced too, so figure that in for his next trip up here..... Ran like a freaking new mower when he came to pick up, and then he said he shouldn't have to pay the $50 because I said I would fix for $100.....fix the freaking wiring issue not rebuild the freaking motor. I explained I wouldn't have done this job for less $300 simply because someone else had already screwed everything else up on it, and I was just trying to be nice to him and help him get going. Personnaly, I would have junked it out... He said he was gonna sue me (I think because there was someone in the showroom buying a new mower). I told him to go ahead, and gave him the name and number of my buddy thats a lawyer to serve me the suet paperwork, he drove off, and then came right back and plopped the $50 on the counter. Dad wanted me to just let him take mower, but I put my foot down and said we are not gonna be taken advantage of up here. The couple buying the mower was laughing over the deal, and said dont worry about jerks like that....
Thank you sir, I am now hesitant to take any junk to work on, so now no one in town has a chance in hell of getting there old murrays and crapsman worked on.... and thats in a town of 26000 or so, noone is left in biz that will....I understand now why.
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Master PPEC Member

CRAZY

last month a guy, dropped off an antique power trowel with a letter series briggs engine. I didn't want to work on it, but he insisted. When I finally worked on it, and got the stupid thing running, He paid the bill, took it home.

He came back 2 days later, with the carburetor in his hand , and says, I talked to my lawyer, about sueing you for over charging me, for this service. This only took me 3 minutes, to remove.
My response, : So if you knew what was wrong & Know how to fix it, why did you bring it?
He; That's not the point. You charged me too much.
; Asked him if he expects us to work for free?

Any way, refunded $20 and put hom on my Black list.
He will never again buy anything, or get any service from my 2 businesses.
Unread 09-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Grand Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diagnostech View Post
CRAZY

last month a guy, dropped off an antique power trowel with a letter series briggs engine. I didn't want to work on it, but he insisted. When I finally worked on it, and got the stupid thing running, He paid the bill, took it home.

He came back 2 days later, with the carburetor in his hand , and says, I talked to my lawyer, about sueing you for over charging me, for this service. This only took me 3 minutes, to remove.
My response, : So if you knew what was wrong & Know how to fix it, why did you bring it?
He; That's not the point. You charged me too much.
; Asked him if he expects us to work for free?

Any way, refunded $20 and put hom on my Black list.
He will never again buy anything, or get any service from my 2 businesses.
Should have told him, that if he thought you charged too much, to wait until he sees what his lawyer is going to charge to find out that his only recourse is to pound sand.
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Why didn't you give him the name of your lawyer so the two could get in touch and have a good laugh at the goof?
Unread 09-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Garden Tractor

You should have kept the $20.00 since you won't do any more work for him. It is at least worth the $20.00 in extra aggravation. That $20.00 in cost can be up to $400.00 in extra sales to recover.