TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Parts Department
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Rear Engine Rider

Default Got an oil question

For those of you who have more than one handheld line, do you bother with, or see any value in having each brand's two stroke oil on hand?

We always have kept the Red Max oil along with the Husky, but I'm figuring on just going with the Husky from here on. Mostly due to logistics. I do a Husky oil order every month and can always kept my stock levels where I need them. With Red Max I need to bulk up on the spring order, or I get clobbered with freight. I've never bothered with Jonsered oil either, so I'm not concerned about having the Red Max stuff around.

What'cha think?
Unread 11-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Approach it the same way you will pitch it to the customer. If you tell them they need to use OEM oil, then you should stock it. If you tell them that this oil or that oil is ok, they will probably price shop. One dealer said several years ago that dealers were doing all the drilling and box stores were getting all the oil. Since we stock and promote manufacturer's oil for all the lines we represent, we are selling WAY more oil.
Unread 11-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Walk Behind Mower

I find most people will buy what the manufacturer recommends...we encouage they do...it also helps if there is a warranty problem....the manufacturer can not blame bad oil on an engine issue.

We are a Stihl dealer...we only sell their oil....so far I do not believe you can get it at Home Depot.
Unread 11-17-2012, 10:19 AM
String Trimmer

how many cases of husqvarna oil do you order every mounth?
Unread 11-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Master PPEC Member

We sell Red Armor for our 2cy. We order it by the pallet. We sell Kohler -10w30 & 30, Honda 10W30, 30 and Briggs 30. We order a pallet of Kohler and Honda (2 pallets), but only a few cases of Briggs, mainly the small size. We offer our commercial cutters a spring order in Feb. They can purchase blades, trimmer line, oil and filters in bulk. This is only good for one time and must be done by Mar 31st. Only customers with good standing can charge. Our guys love it! We will sell 5-10 sets of blades to a cutter, 2-3 cases of 2 cy oil, case of oil and trimmer line! We keep records on how much they purchased and they will use that to determine how much they will need this year. They really appreciate us passing on the savings to them.
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Rear Engine Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhiller View Post
how many cases of husqvarna oil do you order every mounth?
2/3 of the time in the 50+ case bracket, 1/3 in the 100+ bracket. A lot of it is bar oil naturally. I should hit the 100+ bracket more consistantly, but storage is part of the issue there. And the bracket difference isn't really big money. We have also been adding more of the other Spectrum oil products lately.

MowerGirl mentioned the 4 stroke oil, and we also keep Kohler 30 and 10-30 on the shelf, as well as Exmark hydro oil. I guess I'm kind of answering my own question here, huh?

It's partly a logistical thing with the Red Max oil. Not as simple to order, and the Husky oil outsells it by more than 10 to 1. But really no big deal to keep some around I suppose.
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Is Husqvarna & Redmax oil the same? As they are both from Husqvarna? Just a thought you could just tell your Redmax buyers that Husqvarna makes both brands and the oil is the same so you focus on one oil in order to provide them with the best pricing.