TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE MANUFACTURER'S AND DISTRIBUTOR'S FLOOR > Equipment / Products
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Garden Tractor

Hey, I am a Bad Boy dealer with a TSC about 1 mile up the road from me selling the ZT series Briggs with a 60" deck. I service their machines that they sell, and they send me alot of mower sales business also believe it or not. Even the TSC over 30 miles away sends me business. They have my dealer brochures to show people the different mowers available because most people want different engine options and deck sizes. Not to mention the amount of advertising they do for BB around here, it seems like every fold out in the paper this year from them had the ZT pictured on the front page. We operate in an area of around 30,000 people, and are a platinum BB dealer with 3 TSC within 30 miles of us. Don't let the simple Box-Store mentality scare you away from the company, it actually helps us...lol. See we have the 50" 27hp Kohler which seems to be are best seller in that line, and also have the 60" with a 27hp Kohler for the same price as the 26hp Briggs ELS at the TSC. Even the blades at TSC here sell for nearly $80 a set! What I really like is when I am at at a random gathering in town, and overhear people talking about the orange mower that looks like a tank sitting next to the swisher, cub, and husky mowers at the ole tsc, and then hear someone else say "check out the actual dealer on North Main, he will top off your tanks for you, has quite a few different models to choose from, and he brings them out to your place to demo!"......
Unread 08-09-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Hey, I am a Bad Boy dealer with a TSC about 1 mile up the road from me selling the ZT series Briggs with a 60" deck. I service their machines that they sell, and they send me alot of mower sales business also believe it or not. Even the TSC over 30 miles away sends me business. They have my dealer brochures to show people the different mowers available because most people want different engine options and deck sizes. Not to mention the amount of advertising they do for BB around here, it seems like every fold out in the paper this year from them had the ZT pictured on the front page. We operate in an area of around 30,000 people, and are a platinum BB dealer with 3 TSC within 30 miles of us. Don't let the simple Box-Store mentality scare you away from the company, it actually helps us...lol. See we have the 50" 27hp Kohler which seems to be are best seller in that line, and also have the 60" with a 27hp Kohler for the same price as the 26hp Briggs ELS at the TSC. Even the blades at TSC here sell for nearly $80 a set! What I really like is when I am at at a random gathering in town, and overhear people talking about the orange mower that looks like a tank sitting next to the swisher, cub, and husky mowers at the ole tsc, and then hear someone else say "check out the actual dealer on North Main, he will top off your tanks for you, has quite a few different models to choose from, and he brings them out to your place to demo!"......
You guys did phenomenally well. Was this between both locations or just at your OK location?

Are you going to the dealer meeting this year?
Unread 08-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Garden Tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb8100 View Post
You guys did phenomenally well. Was this between both locations or just at your OK location?

Are you going to the dealer meeting this year?
Yeah definately! I think we might get platinum plus before the season is up, so that means an AOS at the meeting! I am very excited about it. Yeah those numbers are between both places. I have had around 12 units sold to my neighbors around my house too, they just came by my house and picked em up....lol. How many units have you moved TB? Are you going to get a mower at the meeting too? Gold gets a 60" ZT. We are going to make the free one solely for demo and loaner purposes, it will be nice not having to loan my personal mowers out!
Unread 08-09-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Yeah definately! I think we might get platinum plus before the season is up, so that means an AOS at the meeting! I am very excited about it. Yeah those numbers are between both places. I have had around 12 units sold to my neighbors around my house too, they just came by my house and picked em up....lol. How many units have you moved TB? Are you going to get a mower at the meeting too? Gold gets a 60" ZT. We are going to make the free one solely for demo and loaner purposes, it will be nice not having to loan my personal mowers out!
We've only moved 40 units or so between all our rider/Z brands. I think we did about 25 Bad Boys out of that, give or take a unit. Did very little advertising though. I was hoping to go Gold, but there was too much transition this year. We've almost got all our lighted signs in. When they all go up, it's going to look GREAT.
Unread 08-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Garden Tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb8100 View Post
We've only moved 40 units or so between all our rider/Z brands. I think we did about 25 Bad Boys out of that, give or take a unit. Did very little advertising though. I was hoping to go Gold, but there was too much transition this year. We've almost got all our lighted signs in. When they all go up, it's going to look GREAT.
With all the other equipment you guys have, I bet you guys had a great year in all. Something that might help you out, I know its a pain in the butt, but I have a mower on a trailer with me every where I go, and get asked alot of questions. I carry business cards and brochures around with me and drop off everywhere they will let me. If I see a commercial guy cutting, I pull over and ask if they have ever tried my mowers, if no, I go ahead and unload and let them use it. I usually hop on their mower or grab a weedeater and help them get finished with the yard they are on. They really appreciate it if its after 5 on the way home, cause they are wanting to get home just as much as I am. Most will even try to pay you...lol!! What I really like is seeing a homeowner with the hood up on their mower, or just mowing on a piece of crap, if I have a little extra time I stop and give them a brochure and explain to them they can get a 60" 27hp Bad Boy for under $100 a month. You wouldn't believe how many homeowners I have sold by doing that. Another thing that helped us is when the bids for mowers come out in the paper I load up 5 or 6 mowers in the trailer and actually go the city or school office that is putting the bid out, unload them all out front, then go in and talk to them. They usually are in a hurry, and just see you as another salesman until you say "oh ok, I unloaded some out front to see if you wanted to test them out". Just an example of how much it helps you, the City of Hugo bought 2 60" lightnings, and so far 14 people have called and talked to the city manager and asked how they liked them. Even though I sold them at the bid assist price, there is no telling how many units they are going to sell for me over the years. Just those little acts of kindness go along way with people, and its really not bad at all to do stuff like that for people. If they even hear of anyone wanting a mower, you know they will prolly mention you after doing something like that.
Unread 08-10-2008, 08:34 PM

I think that's a great strategy, particularly with homeowners and solo operators. For those crews that are part of a larger operation, it might be best to get with a manager first, but it's certainly a valid way to get them on your machines.

See, we didn't move that much in lawn and garden, but with my tractors and other equipment, I moved over $1,100,000 last quarter alone. Looks like we may shatter last years sales numbers, which were up 300% from the previous year, and that one was double it's previous year. 2007 was a fluke year for us in granbury. I heard the Toro dealer in town doubled his sales that year to $2,000,000 (he has Toro and Stihl). So for me to come anywhere close to 2007's numbers is major growth!