TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Stolen Equipment, Bad Checks & Fraud
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Default Do you deliver? Take cashiers check?

Toledo, OH. We have a handful of customers in Toledo....sometimes people just want to deal with a rural 'mom and pop' shop. No big deal. A couple weeks back we got a notice that dealers near us were getting ripped off by people in Toledo. What they do is call and ask about a specific commercial lawnmower, and are easily talked in to any other machines.

They say they need to speak with their wife and call back the following day...and tell you they want to machine and want to know if you can deliver it today and if you will take a money order/cashier?s check from their bank. You get into town (a crappy part of town where there is no way they could afford the kind of machine your delivering). They give you the check, and you head back home. Three days later you get a call from your bank saying the check is no good......congrats! You just gave away a mower to a local crack head who will sell it for a few hundred dollars for his next high!

Lucky ME! The moron called our dealership 2 days ago! Knowing about the scams going on I tested this guy. He said he was Stan Howard from Stan Howard Construction. I told him I'm very familiar with the area and wanted to know the address of his business. He gave me the street number and I look it up online.....came up as a old folks home, not a construction business! The next day he calls back and wants a mower! So I ask what address he wants it delivered to...he told me (a completely different address than the day before). I then ask him what address he wants the warranty to be registered at. He tells me he wants it registered to his construction company......and would you believe it, he gave me a completely different address than he gave yesterday! I contacted the sheriff department who then contacted the Toledo Police to do a sting and catch the guy because he was going to be at a location to scam me and guess what......they didn't want to do anything about it!

Moral of the story is.....watch your back and be smart about what you?re doing! Good luck!
Unread 04-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Garden Tractor

I wonder why the local police have such a hard time solving crimes that aren't murders? Because they really don't give a damn. My home has been robbed twice and nothing is ever done. Our business hit 3 times same old same old. We call police with a tip we recieved from another customer and they say they will check it out. Never done we recovered ourselves won't say how. Don't support them if they won't do their job.
Unread 04-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eichers_repair_center View Post
Toledo, OH. We have a handful of customers in Toledo....sometimes people just want to deal with a rural 'mom and pop' shop. No big deal. A couple weeks back we got a notice that dealers near us were getting ripped off by people in Toledo. What they do is call and ask about a specific commercial lawnmower, and are easily talked in to any other machines.

They say they need to speak with their wife and call back the following day...and tell you they want to machine and want to know if you can deliver it today and if you will take a money order/cashier?s check from their bank. You get into town (a crappy part of town where there is no way they could afford the kind of machine your delivering). They give you the check, and you head back home. Three days later you get a call from your bank saying the check is no good......congrats! You just gave away a mower to a local crack head who will sell it for a few hundred dollars for his next high!

Lucky ME! The moron called our dealership 2 days ago! Knowing about the scams going on I tested this guy. He said he was Stan Howard from Stan Howard Construction. I told him I'm very familiar with the area and wanted to know the address of his business. He gave me the street number and I look it up online.....came up as a old folks home, not a construction business! The next day he calls back and wants a mower! So I ask what address he wants it delivered to...he told me (a completely different address than the day before). I then ask him what address he wants the warranty to be registered at. He tells me he wants it registered to his construction company......and would you believe it, he gave me a completely different address than he gave yesterday! I contacted the sheriff department who then contacted the Toledo Police to do a sting and catch the guy because he was going to be at a location to scam me and guess what......they didn't want to do anything about it!

Moral of the story is.....watch your back and be smart about what you?re doing! Good luck!
I think the government wants more fraud so that they look like the rest of society. The banks around here will not even tell me if a check is good anymore. I was told I have to wait till it bounces to find out. And that was on a guy that did not even have an account with them. I was lucky the check bounced before I gave the guy his ordered parts.
Unread 04-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Grand Master PPEC Member

Quit taking checks. (Period). I've quit except for a very few, very loyal, and well known customers. Got burned enough thank you.
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Master PPEC Member

Crazy!

We had a guy come in a few years ago and while helping other customers he grabbed a chainsaw and ran out. My dad went out after him, jumped in the drivers window and was dragged through the parking lot. The guy got away.

A year later a guy came in and said he was sick and tired of his brother-inlaws lifestyle, told us he was bragging about doing this hit and run. We called the cops & nothing has ever happened about it.

I love that they have the courage to do what they do but get sick that things get pushed under the rug! Not sure who to blame!
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Grand Master PPEC Member

Police are such prima donna's. They want to ride around all day, hand out citations, but heaven forbid they have to arrest anyone. That's just too much work. Being in the rental business, I can't count the number of times the local police have totally let me down by refusing to even try to find stolen equipment or deal with theft of service.
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Master PPEC Member

While I absolute can believe there such problems with law enforcement some places, that is not the case everywhere. That would be like saying all dealers are crooks and have no idea what they are doing. We all know those dealers exist but we would swear up and down we aren't one of those dealers.
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

I sold some equipment to a guy the other day (his third purchase) and he always carries BLANK cashier's checks. He owns a chain of banks, so I guess he has that kind of clout.
Unread 06-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Rear Engine Rider

I guess I'm lucky, since starting out in 2003 I've only gotten two bad checks.

That was back in Phoenix when I was doing racing karts, one guy called me even before it was returned to my bank and brought in cash. The other guy made restitution through the prosecutors office after he was paroled, seems he was embezzling from his employer too....

In this little town where I live now everyone still uses checks. I like that I don't have to pay anything more to deposit the money I've earned, it really chaps me that credit card companies make money on both ends of the transaction. In my book that's double dipping.

John