TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Stolen Equipment, Bad Checks & Fraud
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-09-2010, 05:56 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB2006 View Post
they probably didn't want to have to spend time taking the broken ones to Sears for exchange before pawning them.
Now this is getting off topic, but we're using a lot of Craftsman tools. The last couple Snap-On dealers have given terrible service, and right now there's nobody in the area. We haven't had any trouble with Craftsman tools.
Unread 10-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Send a message via AIM to os_small_engine_equipment Send a message via Yahoo to os_small_engine_equipment

I didn't have any trouble with craftsman at all. The quality started to slide downhill in the past 10 years though. New hand tools with bad chrome. Sockets that don't fit correctly, etc. Also it's a hassle because there is no sears near-by.

Sure the lifetime warranty is nice, but it takes me over 1.5 hours if i want to exchange a wrench.

I've found that the quality, service, re-sale and trade-in values, etc. of snap-on tools make them worth the extra investment.
South Beloit, Illinois

Bob-Cat,DOLMAR, Opti Products, OREGON, OEP,GB MAXX GRINDERS, STENS FORESTRY, REDMAX, MEYER PLOWS

FLUID-FILM
Unread 10-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

We stick to Snap On or Mac. It is when you are doing the tough jobs that you find out how good your tools are. Gave up on Craftsman a long time ago. Soft wrenches that spread under load, peeling chrome that will slice you wide open but the worst were the hex keys. Had a few that actually exploded into 3 or more pieces when under load (good for taking out innocent bystanders). Never ever broke a Snap On but have some that have a cool spiral on them now.

The store brands are also getting strict on warranty replacement. Plus who needs the hassle of having a tool fail in the middle of a repair, then have to return it to a store. A lot of those tools are all coming from China now just like everything else.
Unread 10-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Send a message via AIM to os_small_engine_equipment Send a message via Yahoo to os_small_engine_equipment

That's right. 75% of the time, any tool will do the job. Harbor Freight stuff will get you by.

I own a lot of HF stuff, wal-mart cheapos, etc. My main tools, in use every single day are Snap-On. I don't want them to fail...period. If I have a problem, snap-on comes to me.

This is the type of value added after that sale that makes up for the higher price on a premium product. We pooh pooh our customers for buying the cheap stuff, not wanting the premium service or possibly doing a half-azzed job and then rely on crappy equipment to make our living.

It's a huge investment. I recomend building your business on what you can afford, but try to work in the High-end tools when you can.

I've added the following over the past few years:

Cordless impacts: 1/2", 3/8"
Cordless screwdrivers and bit sets.
Good multi-meters - autoranging
Gear wrenches.
Snap-on sockets and combination wrenches...toghest I've ever found.
Screwdrivers

Several thousand $$$ spent...yes. Does it get the job done quicker? Absolutely
South Beloit, Illinois

Bob-Cat,DOLMAR, Opti Products, OREGON, OEP,GB MAXX GRINDERS, STENS FORESTRY, REDMAX, MEYER PLOWS

FLUID-FILM
Unread 10-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Master PPEC Member

I have started liking kobalt tools honestly, but still hold on to the older tools my father has given me. I just took the time yesterday to dissasimble, clean, repair and oil a few 15 inch craftsman fine tooth ratchet I have(cant find them from any company anymore)

He seems to swear by his Armstrong tools anymore though, and neither of us can stand his snap-on screw drivers. I personally like Kline for that.
Unread 10-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

The snap-on screwdrivers take a bit of getting used to.

Luckily, screwdrivers are cheap and you can never have too many.
South Beloit, Illinois

FLUID-FILM
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Grand Master PPEC Member

The Kline 11 in 1 is hard to beat. Keep one on me just about all the time. Handy for those quick looks at something - but not for heavy duty use.
Unread 10-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Master PPEC Member

I am not sure about elsewhere but here in Central Missouri it is almost impossible to pawn Snap-on tools, I am told. The reasoning is that almost every time when they are pawned, they are stolen. Real owners of Snap-On tools don't pawn them. I believe there are a few others (tool brands) that fall into this category as well.
Unread 10-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorPower View Post
I am not sure about elsewhere but here in Central Missouri it is almost impossible to pawn Snap-on tools, I am told. The reasoning is that almost every time when they are pawned, they are stolen. Real owners of Snap-On tools don't pawn them. I believe there are a few others (tool brands) that fall into this category as well.
Wow I would figure it would be a hard thing to prove as far as them being stolen.

Hey nice to see you back as well Superior
Unread 10-13-2010, 05:51 AM
Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwaters View Post
Wow I would figure it would be a hard thing to prove as far as them being stolen.

Hey nice to see you back as well Superior
Keep in mind that some people will mark their tools, especially so when the tools are Snap-On. Secondly, there ARE ways to prove some things that few people know about. For example, did you know that if you pawn or sell something to a pawn shop the pawn shop does several things: a) get a photo ID of the person pawning and selling, b) enter it into a nationwide "searchable" database, c) takes the risk that it is stolen and potentially have to eat the pay price if it is stolen?

And don't get too used to it, I just popped in momentarily! In about a week and a half I won't be a single guy any more. lol