TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Stolen Equipment, Bad Checks & Fraud
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

I would have told him to have his lawyer to contact my lawyer and that he could kiss me butt! I am about fed up with stupid customers expecting something for nothing!!!! Today I had 2 different customers complain because I was charging them for repairs that they thought was warranty. One blower was 41 months old, used commercially and needed a valve adjustment. The other was a saw that was 19 months old and needed the oiler discharge cleaned out. Every day someone wants a discount, or free repair. Good grief!!!!
Unread 09-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Grand Master PPEC Member

Had another fool today. Worked on his trimmer 2 years ago - it's not working now and he wants a repair warranty claiming it didn't work well last year after sitting over a winter. Jeez!
Unread 09-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

I hope your labor rate went up.
Unread 10-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Master PPEC Member

Figure the $20 is cheaper than a lawyer. Though it is infuriating , to say the least.
Unread 10-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Master PPEC Member

Default it's unreal

here's a transcript of an email from a customer this week. He dropped off his snow blower over the summer.

1st Email From Customer.....

This afternoon I picked up my snowblower, which you had repaired. I tested it when I returned home and the electric starter still does not work. As before it turns over the engine but the engine will not start. Using the pulley starter the engine starts first pull every time.

I am not able to bring the snowblower back to you until Thursday. Please do not deposit the check I gave you, # 3434 ($328.98), until this can be resolved. Your invoice number is 51050.

Please respond, either via email or to my cell phone

2nd Email from Customer....

Hi Again,
Regarding my message from yesterday afternoon below, I have just entered my garage on my way to work and found gasoline still leaking from the snowblower. So neither of the problems I needed repaired have been solved. To remind you, I brought the snowblower to you on July 28th to fix the leaking gasoline and the electric starter, as stated on the invoice. When I called you at the end of August you said you were waiting for parts. When I spoke with you at the end of September you told me you were having a problem removing a rusty nut.
Please contact me

My reply

Good morning Chris,

Just left you a message in regards to your emails. I was not in yesterday.

1) "Please do not deposit the check I gave you, # 3434 ($328.98), until this can be resolved. Your invoice number is 51050."

- Checks are deposited daily so that's already happened. We aren't going to take you for your money and run, no fear. That's not what we do here. Maybe you had a bad experience in the past, I'm sorry for that. We actually don't accept checks above $250 so I'll have to address that issue in house.

2) " I tested it when I returned home and the electric starter still does not work. As before it turns over the engine but the engine will not start. Using the pulley starter the engine starts first pull every time."

If you plug the starter in and press the button and it turns the engine over, the starter is doing it's job. If you pull the rope and the engine starts, the engine runs. Seems the issue you are having is starting the engine using the electric starter. If the engine starts on 1 pull, should fire off no problem with the starter.

3) "I have just entered my garage on my way to work and found gasoline still leaking from the snowblower. So neither of the problems I needed repaired have been solved."

- Looking at the work order, the unit was billed out on the 3rd so it sat for a week without leaking, and started leaking at the house. I'm thinking the needle and seat is not holding, especially once it was bounced around being transported. We always recommend shutting the fuel valve off when not in use to prevent any leaking, although this is not a fix for the actual issue, which is the needle and seat not holding. If this is the case, may explain why there is an issue with starting it with the electric starter, especially if choking and priming like you traditionally do to start it cold.

4) "To remind you, I brought the snowblower to you on July 28th to fix the leaking gasoline and the electric starter, as stated on the invoice. When I called you at the end of August you said you were waiting for parts. When I spoke with you at the end of September you told me you were having a problem removing a rusty nut. "

- No sure why we are being reminded of this. In July and August, we are concentrating on mowing equipment, not snow equipment, which I'm sure is logical for anyone to understand. Your unit needed belts and a friction disc which we stock up on toward the late summer early fall. The drive system that needed to be disassembled to replace the disc was severely rusted. There are more components involved on your machine because of the power steering option. Some shops might have told you to junk it or hacked it apart, resulting in a higher cost. Penetrating oil and time go a long way (when you have the time and it's not snowing). Thats the difference between mechanics and people who just replace parts, combined with old fashion honesty.

Why don't we schedule to pick the unit up Friday when we are in your area to save you from having to transport it. I will have one of the techs change the needle and seat in the carburetor and let it sit over the weekend to check for leaks, and make sure it starts correctly. The electric starter is supposed to make it easier to start! Give me a call when you get a chance or reply so we can confirm to get this taken care of for you. Thanks!

The guy calls me back, first, can not understand the theory behind the electric starter.......doesn't understand all it does is turn the engine over and has nothing to do with the running of the engine........ THEN!!!! Complains that Friday isn't a good day to pick the unit up for him and doesn't want to leave it out........and just kept being a Prlck!!! Finally, I stopped being nice and told him we stand behind our work, I'm offering to pick it up for nothing to save you the trip and take a second look at it, but i'm not going to try to satisfy a customer who is making it impossible for me to do so......so you need to take a step back and relax or i'm not doing a thing until he changes his attitude and tone........ He was supposed to bring the machine by this morning.........never showed up.
Unread 10-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Rear Engine Rider

Hell, you're a nice person for even taking the snowblower into the shop that time of year. I have come to find that some people live to complain. I have a customer who comes in regularly throughout the year and every single time they have a complaint. But for some odd reason they continue to pay for our services over and over........
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Master PPEC Member

Default update

Ha! Customer stopped payment on the check! Never called or showed up, hasn't returned my call. He has 2 business days to take care of this issue or it is a felony in the state of mass....
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Throw everything you got at the jerk.
Unread 10-15-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallimeca View Post
Ha! Customer stopped payment on the check! Never called or showed up, hasn't returned my call. He has 2 business days to take care of this issue or it is a felony in the state of mass....
I don't know about MA, but in TX they will go straight to jail.

If You Always Do What You've Always Done, You'll Always Get What You Always Got.

Yanmar Tractors | Branson Tractors | TYM Tractors | Bad Boy Mowers | Hustler Turf Equipment | Cub Cadet Mowers and Chore Products | Gravely Mowers & Chore Products | Ariens Mowers & Chore Products | Echo Power Equipment | Landmaster Side by Sides

http://www.bigredsonline.net