TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Stolen Equipment, Bad Checks & Fraud
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Default Customer sues for refund after using lawnmower all season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxegWf-FWWw

Unread 02-20-2010, 01:39 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

You can thank Wal-Mart for this mess!
Unread 02-20-2010, 01:51 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

I do not sell new equipment yet but do sell some previously owned stuff time to time. How do you protect yourself from this? Will a written return policy be enough to cover your rear end? Frankly I see a lot more of this coming.
Unread 02-20-2010, 01:52 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Default 10% of all stores sales in North America

I realize this is hard to believe but on page B1, 02-19-10, in "The Wall Street Journal" they report that Walmart collects roughly $1.00 out of every $10.00 spent at stores in North America. That, my friends, is not a good thing !
Unread 02-20-2010, 02:42 AM
Grand Master PPEC Member

Not knowing all of the facts makes it difficult to know if the judge's decision was right or wrong. Where was the equipment manufacturer in all of this? As no mention was made of any involvement by them, it seems they made no effort to assist with this issue. Hope this guy got the word around his area about this customer.
Unread 02-20-2010, 05:47 AM
Master PPEC Member

In reality, this really should never have happened unless there is something more than what he told us. I also agree, I would hope the word was passed around to other dealers. Let this idiot buy his next machine from HD, Wal-Mart, or where ever.

Here is his website. I was thinking about inviting him here so he can tell us about his experience and perhaps give us some pointers on ways to avoid this (besides perhaps that would mean another member ). Any thoughts guys and gals?
Unread 02-20-2010, 06:02 AM
Rear Engine Rider

I would love to hear more on the story. I can not understand why a manufacturer would not stand behind his sale. I had a customer try something like this but he went back to his credit card company. The CC pulled the funds back out of our account and I had to fight it. I submitted a copy of the guys bill of sale and both warranties I filed against his machine. I also included a copy of the warranty registration with the policy highlighted. After a few weeks the CC refunded me the sale price and told thes customer he lost his argument. I still have his mower sitting here waiting for him to come and get it, that was 2 years ago.
Unread 02-20-2010, 06:15 AM
Master PPEC Member

By the way, I went back and read some of the comments left on the video. It is ridiculous some of the comments that were made. Some of these people obviously did not listen to the video and also have no business clue.
Unread 02-20-2010, 07:12 AM
Grand Master PPEC Member

Just guessing, but I'd bet it was a Cub Cadet that was returned. Would be interesting to hear the rest of the story, though, to find out what the customer's justification was and why a court would agree.
Unread 02-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Mid-Size Mower

One note to take into consideration, this occurred in 2000.

Looking at the production of that video, and others on related sites, they would appear to be more of a viral ad campaign for "asset protection" and a legal lobbyist group.

I take all of this with a grain of salt, and until I read the court papers, I'm thinking this is a bit sensationalistic to stir up some emotions.

There are difficult customers who regardless of the warranty, your return policies, and the quality of the product; who will always find something wrong. Those are often the ones that when I encountered them received a refund and became someone else's headache, or in this case, lawsuit.