TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Stolen Equipment, Bad Checks & Fraud
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Master PPEC Member

Thanks guys. Everything should be covered by insurance but it still sucks.
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Master PPEC Member

[quote=oldtimer;25025]cgl Location: USA

Who are you and where are you.

Oldtimer

Got a new house and had a baby so I have been slacking for a while.

I think my number of post should let you know that I am legit.
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Master PPEC Member

[quote=cgl;25043]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
cgl Location: USA

Who are you and where are you.

Oldtimer

Got a new house and had a baby so I have been slacking for a while.

I think my number of post should let you know that I am legit.
I do not think he was doubting your dealer status but rather a location to where you are located may help other members in the same area keep an eye out for said equipment.

I am guessing you gave info to the police, they should be able to tell if it has been pawned or not.
Unread 12-16-2011, 09:30 AM
bgsengine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
Amen

We need a dealers only web site or forum. The facebook idea is good but not secure.

Oldtimer
Got my vote. That is the primary reason my post count is so low, and I bet quite a few other lurkers feel the same.

Check out www.iatn.net - that's a site I wish someone would model an OPE site after it! I joined shortly after it started up, as I had left the OPE business for Heavy Duty and Cars (pay sucked for OPE techs at the time!) and been a member ever since. Great place, with a variety of forums not just for owners, but for techs too! Learned SO much on that site - theory, technology, etc. - in fact I still use a lot of that advanced know-how (that by now is way out of date) that is just beginning to come into play in the OPE business (EVAP emissions, O2 sensors, EFI, Computer Controls, etc) and if I had the time, I'd build such a site myself. (Programming and webhosting = no problem, thanks to an 8 year stint as a programmer analyst) There's public areas for advertising shops, local business lookup, etc, but private areas for owners, tech and business discussion, industry issues, and more, all in one location. It'd be a dream come true for a rapidly growing O/O like me :-D

Other than that, join your regional trade association (NEDA does stolen equipment alert blasts to the membership in the region, which is where something like this would be handled much better)
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsengine View Post
Got my vote. That is the primary reason my post count is so low, and I bet quite a few other lurkers feel the same.

Check out www.iatn.net - that's a site I wish someone would model an OPE site after it! I joined shortly after it started up, as I had left the OPE business for Heavy Duty and Cars (pay sucked for OPE techs at the time!) and been a member ever since. Great place, with a variety of forums not just for owners, but for techs too! Learned SO much on that site - theory, technology, etc. - in fact I still use a lot of that advanced know-how (that by now is way out of date) that is just beginning to come into play in the OPE business (EVAP emissions, O2 sensors, EFI, Computer Controls, etc) and if I had the time, I'd build such a site myself. (Programming and webhosting = no problem, thanks to an 8 year stint as a programmer analyst) There's public areas for advertising shops, local business lookup, etc, but private areas for owners, tech and business discussion, industry issues, and more, all in one location. It'd be a dream come true for a rapidly growing O/O like me :-D

Other than that, join your regional trade association (NEDA does stolen equipment alert blasts to the membership in the region, which is where something like this would be handled much better)
I like it. And I really think that PPEC has the track record and the platform to build on to become the OPE version of that website. I think we could maintain sufficient topics to keep in the public side of the site to keep it looking good in google search rankings. If a topic needed to be taken from the private side to the public side, or vice versa, that could be easily handled by a few moderators. I know from prior experience in forums, owning one such forum myself, moving threads, deleting threads, etc, is really easy to do. My plan with my forum was to have just such a "technicians lounge" as I called it but the lack of quality members and the over run of spammers joining and spamming the forum caused me to disable member sign up. I can still add members manually but they can not join on their own. My forum didn't really go anywhere but I will say that it gave me a lot of experience and understanding of it. When I purchased my web hosting package they gave me 2 websites for free. I haven't yet decided what the second one should be.... I had a thought but never took it anywhere. If I chose to move forward with my forum I would want to do some things before I really pushed it due to me disliking the current software situation, which can not be updated.
Unread 12-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Rear Engine Rider

Pawn shops are of little to no help in that situation to me. I had a 390xp, 576at, 450, and 455 chainsaws stolen from me back in July. First thing I did after contacting police and insurance was to contact as many pawn shops as I could find. Same thing when the first and then second chainsaws were stolen a few years back.

When something is stolen, I have little faith it will turn up again. I don't want to get anyone down, but I don't want them boosted up unrealistically either.
Unread 12-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKPower View Post
Pawn shops are of little to no help in that situation to me. I had a 390xp, 576at, 450, and 455 chainsaws stolen from me back in July. First thing I did after contacting police and insurance was to contact as many pawn shops as I could find. Same thing when the first and then second chainsaws were stolen a few years back.

When something is stolen, I have little faith it will turn up again. I don't want to get anyone down, but I don't want them boosted up unrealistically either.
I have retrieved items that were stolen based on serial #'s that a pawn shop had put into the system.

That being said, we did have a guy come in with a chainsaw asking what it was worth and that he had just bought it from a pawn shop. We checked #'s and the saw was sold by us to another customer that had contacted us a month prior to say it was stolen. The guy called the pawn shop and they told him to take the saw and leave. No go with us, we called the police and they worked it out.

Some pawn shops are legit others are shady, just like with any business.
Unread 12-17-2011, 05:51 AM
Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
I have retrieved items that were stolen based on serial #'s that a pawn shop had put into the system.

That being said, we did have a guy come in with a chainsaw asking what it was worth and that he had just bought it from a pawn shop. We checked #'s and the saw was sold by us to another customer that had contacted us a month prior to say it was stolen. The guy called the pawn shop and they told him to take the saw and leave. No go with us, we called the police and they worked it out.

Some pawn shops are legit others are shady, just like with any business.
Let me add to that. If you want to recover your stolen items do not, I repeat, DO NOT contact the pawn shops. They are in the business of making a quick buck, even if it's not always in the most honest means. If you contact them they most assuredly will not purchase anything they think may be stolen. Their chances of being able to recoup their money is slim. And don't fool yourself into thinking they will buy it for you. Because they won't. They aren't in business to recover your stolen items. They just won't buy them. And now the items will be sold on the untraceable black market. But if a pawnshop buys them, they are legally required to document a legal form of ID. And items are entered in a searchable database law enforcement has access to. This includes searching by name, item type and date of purchase. Pretty cool, huh?
Unread 12-17-2011, 08:56 AM
bgsengine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorPower View Post
I like it. And I really think that PPEC has the track record and the platform to build on to become the OPE version of that website. I think we could maintain sufficient topics to keep in the public side of the site to keep it looking good in google search rankings. If a topic needed to be taken from the private side to the public side, or vice versa, that could be easily handled by a few moderators. I know from prior experience in forums, owning one such forum myself, moving threads, deleting threads, etc, is really easy to do. My plan with my forum was to have just such a "technicians lounge" as I called it but the lack of quality members and the over run of spammers joining and spamming the forum caused me to disable member sign up. I can still add members manually but they can not join on their own. My forum didn't really go anywhere but I will say that it gave me a lot of experience and understanding of it. When I purchased my web hosting package they gave me 2 websites for free. I haven't yet decided what the second one should be.... I had a thought but never took it anywhere. If I chose to move forward with my forum I would want to do some things before I really pushed it due to me disliking the current software situation, which can not be updated.
Yup. same thing here. and I own a domain name for it - isetn.com
Just need to find some kind of time to do it, or some cohesive group to set things up and run it.
Have my own dedicated server where I run a few other websites, but I'd rather see ppec make use of it or get something started.
Easy enough to set up a separate members only area, and require resume, certifications, working technician status, etc. before being permitted entry. (some sort of proof of being a legit pro in the business - business license, tech certification, resume with verifiable employment, etc) and we'd be golden.
I'd bet you could get tool companies to sponsor as well for the right to have their ads front and center to the tech's noses, even their own forum for their brand (I.E. the credit card merchants having their own forum, etc) - much like the current forum layout here, just much more private so us "sit on our hands and not post" types would be more comfortable with participation. Tech help forums for the techs (heck, even a mailing list using something like mojomail or mailman or even (gasp) phplist - (Side note. I was once on the development team for phplist briefly back when the software was first being developed) - lots of possibilities, and having it more exclusive (Don't need google rankings necessarily for THAT section, but it does help sell sponsorships to have your shop listed on the "find a service center" lookup )
- Side note #2 - being a member at iatn, I still get several dozen daily emails from the tech help email list (required for membership to accept help emails, can narrow it down to the brands or categories you specialize in - for me it's domestic driveability, brakes, engines, and Heavy Duty) - keeps me up to date on some of the goings-on in that line of business too

- I'd bet with enough paying members, wouldn't be too hard to hire some IT people and programmers full time to build out on things and keep servers running. ($15/month technician sponsorship at iatn , multiply by several thousand paying members, you're looking at some considerably big numbers! not to mention shop sponsors, manufacturer sponsors, and ad revenue! )

No wonder I registered the domain. hehehe.. way to stay in the business without BEING in the business.