TORO
Yard & Garden
Home What-Why-Who Membership Advertising Suppliers Safety Legislation-Legal Job Bank Contact Us Help
Chainsaws

Go Back   Professional Power Equipment Congress > THE DEALER'S FLOOR: > Service Department
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Rear Engine Rider

Default V-Belt Length - HELP!

Alright guys,

When you get a piece of oddball equipment in your shop and you need to replace a v-belt, how do you measure/specify the length of the replacement?

Thanks,

Q
Established August 2011
www.outdoorpowerpros.com
Outdoor Power Pros on Facebook
Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Master PPEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimQ View Post
Alright guys,

When you get a piece of oddball equipment in your shop and you need to replace a v-belt, how do you measure/specify the length of the replacement?

Thanks,

Q
I have a belt measuring tool to measure it when that is all I have. But most things you can find a breakdown for.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Rear Engine Rider

I to have a belt measuring stick, but on some belts I use a tape measure and measure the outside diameter of the belt. This will get you close.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

You best bet is look up the machine and get a part number for the belt and get it that way. Either get the OEM belt or try to cross reference it. I prefer to go OEM anymore with belts because cross references arent always accurate these days especially OEM if its a John Deere.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Rear Engine Rider

Yeah, I was thinking about buying a belt measuring tool like the the Oregon 75-910. Does anyone use this? I am wondering if it works for both A and B section belts. It's limited to 100" so that pretty much rules out all deck belts. I was considering making one that would accurately measure both A and B section and top out at around 160". I figured I could hanging it on the wall.

I agree with using OEM belts ESPECIALLY for deck drive but it would be nice to have the option to go non-OEM. You would be relatively safe sticking with any quality Aramid fiber, wrapped belt.

Q
Established August 2011
www.outdoorpowerpros.com
Outdoor Power Pros on Facebook
Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 AM
bgsengine

don't use one. for A belts, measure the inside length, for 4L , measure outside length - roughly a 2" difference. same with B vs 5L except a roughly 3 inch difference. just make a mark on belt and measure with a tape rule.

for belts with an unknown length (shredded, missing, etc) and no parts lookups, we'll take a piece of fuel line of approximate size for the belt section needed, wrap it around the pulley run and measure that length for a pretty close approximation of belt length needed.

used to have a belt measuring stick, but most of the time it was rarely used as it was just as quick to simply measure the belt with a tape rule. - neither tape rule nor the measuring stick is accurate enough to differentiate between fractional sizes with any precision, which many OEM's will have , so we will always go OEM or OEM Spec wherever possible.

We also refer to the Gates catalog (can grab a copy online at gates website) which has a very helpful belt application guide.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Senior Zero Turn Mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimQ View Post
Yeah, I was thinking about buying a belt measuring tool like the the Oregon 75-910. Does anyone use this? I am wondering if it works for both A and B section belts. It's limited to 100" so that pretty much rules out all deck belts. I was considering making one that would accurately measure both A and B section and top out at around 160". I figured I could hanging it on the wall.

I agree with using OEM belts ESPECIALLY for deck drive but it would be nice to have the option to go non-OEM. You would be relatively safe sticking with any quality Aramid fiber, wrapped belt.

Q
Well the problem is sometimes Stens/Oregon doesnt have a non-OEM and the cross reference just says use an off the shelf belt but that isnt quite right either since the OEM's like to play with half and quarter and weird sizes and even sometimes strange V's.

We got an Oregon measuring thing in the past year or 2...very disappointed with the quality of it. We have an older one that is a Gates or I forget what brand but only goes up to like 60 or so inches but much better quality. The Oregon one is kind made backwards as far as where the hanging hole is to put it on a wall. The "sheaves" you put the belt on are not sheaves they are just really cheap plastic flat half circles. Our older one has V-shaped plastic half pulleys that are much beefier. It can tell you if the belt is a 3L/4L/5L by how deep it sets in the half pulley and then has a window in the sliding pulley which shows the length based on which width the belt is.

At least the Oregon one is cheap. Honestly best method if you have an old belt is to measure the backside with a tape measure. The measuring tools can still be off because the V of the belt wears and makes it ride too deep in their measuring sheaves. The backside length generally doesnt change through the life of the belt.

And honestly if you are worried about deck belts that are longer than 100" dont bother measuring because you are going to need an OEM belt or hope someone makes an aftermarket one that you can cross reference to. Most belts stop being available every inch over 100 and start skipping 3-5 inches between sizes.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Rear Engine Rider

This site has helped a ton with finding belt lengths and sizes. When working on or looking up belt numbers for an OEM that you can't order because you're not a dealer - and the OEM doesn't come out nicely and say "This belt is 1/2 x 54".... So you punch in the OEM number and it 99.9% of the time will tell you exactly what size it is. You can then turn around and punch in that size and it will list most every belt by OEM number that is that same size or close to it.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/