PDA

View Full Version : Echo Vs. Redmax Vs. Husqvarna Vs. Dolmar

tb8100
12-11-2007, 11:19 PM
I started to threadjack my own thread, so I figured I better pick up the discussion here. I'm looking hard at taking on our first line of handheld equipment. There is a Toro/Stihl dealer not 10 miles from me in town (we're just outside of town), but Dolmar, Echo, Husqvarna, and Redmax are all options for me.

I'm just starting a relationship with Magneto Power for the parts support, and it just so happens that they distribute Dolmar among other products. A dealer friend of mine up in Greenville has had great success with Dolmar.

However, I may be doing business with TOP Equipment, as they carry Scag, Echo, Bear Cat, and Billy Goat (all of which I'm interested in). That would be nice as I'd be working all with one distributor who also seems to have a good reputation.

Husqvarna makes what seems like decent hand held equipment, plus they make walk-behinds, which we badly need to carry. They also make riders, which would be nice to have as well. Some folks argue that riders are a dying breed, but the fact of the matter is, they're still significantly cheaper than ZTRs (and always will be, due to the nature of how ZTRs are built) and people are still buying them. I like the idea of consolidating as much as I can, vs having 1000 different lines in order to offer a good selection of equipment.

Redmax is a brand that I've heard alot of good things about, but am not sure about where a local distributor is, as well as the margins. Any Redmax dealers on here mind pitching in ? :)

Any other brands I should consider?

tb8100
12-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Oh yeah, how does Shindaiwa stack up against those? They also have dealers in the area (but not one for 20-30 miles).

yth180
12-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Husqvarna owns RedMax. They will make some handheld products for them. The shipping options for Husqvarna are good. We also handle Echo. At the consumer end they sell about the same. At the higher end Husqvarna sells better. As for as shipping: Husqvarna 10 handheld gets free freight.
Echo need $2500 for free freight.
Husqvarna will ship one unit for $7.00.
Echo will charge actual freight which for us has been up to $22.00.
Chainsaws - no contest, Husqvarna sells. The only Echo we stock is the top handle type.
Blowers - Echo sells better. We sell few high end blowers.
Parts. Husqvarna $100+ gets free freight. Echo actual freight.
Husqvarna has very good entry level push mower w/Honda engine. If you want push mowers etc then Husqvarna is the choice.
Husqvarna - chainsaws, high end handheld, better freight, mowers.
Echo - consumer blowers and trimmers, power pruners

mowingman
12-12-2007, 10:05 AM
We are a Redmax dealer and have been for 4 years. The distributor is Engine Warehouse, (EWI), in Houston. They have been great to deal with. Fast service, not pushy about loading you up with machines, good profit margins, and great selection of products for the dealer. I believe you can get setup with just about a 20 machine order, maybe less. Freight is free on your preseason order. All parts and machines ordered usually arrive next day.
Redmax is going to be a standalone brand, even though they are owned by Husq. Redmax is likely the only handheld brand that will survive long term without having to resort to 4 cycle engines. All the other handheld manufacturers are in trouble with many non Epa compliant models they are going to have to stop making in 2008. Redmax is in great shape for meeting EPA regs with thier Strato Charged engines.
Redmax has some new marketing people now, and they are really going to start advertising, to make Redmax a more recognized brand name.
We have looked at every brand of Handheld you can think of, and NOTHING, not even Stihl, can compare to Redmax.
Check out the other topic you started, for my comments on Echo. Echo is in big trouble, I would steer clear, even if the brand is well known.
Jeff
Contact info. EWI Rep for your area: David Vester (817) 690-7676
(A great guy to deal with)

tb8100
12-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Husqvarna owns RedMax. They will make some handheld products for them. The shipping options for Husqvarna are good. We also handle Echo. At the consumer end they sell about the same. At the higher end Husqvarna sells better. As for as shipping: Husqvarna 10 handheld gets free freight.
Echo need $2500 for free freight.
Husqvarna will ship one unit for $7.00.
Echo will charge actual freight which for us has been up to $22.00.
Chainsaws - no contest, Husqvarna sells. The only Echo we stock is the top handle type.
Blowers - Echo sells better. We sell few high end blowers.
Parts. Husqvarna $100+ gets free freight. Echo actual freight.
Husqvarna has very good entry level push mower w/Honda engine. If you want push mowers etc then Husqvarna is the choice.
Husqvarna - chainsaws, high end handheld, better freight, mowers.
Echo - consumer blowers and trimmers, power pruners

Another thing about Husky is that TSC sells them, which, while I don't and won't like the competition, they also have brought the name to this area. I think Lowes carries them too, come to think of it.

Once we see how handhelds sell for us, we might take on another line (down the road). Do you feel that Husqvarna is a good all around seller?

tb8100
12-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Well, bad news. A local small hardware store chain is ditching Echo for Redmax, so we won't be able to take them on. The Redmax rep just called to let me know that.

Does Husqvarna make good commercial products as well as homeowner products?

Does Dolmar make a good, quality product that will stack up to the competition? I know the name isn't big, but if they're quality, I know they will sell.

What other brands should we consider?

sawman
12-15-2007, 12:20 AM
I would go after Husky and Dolmar. Husky has all of the blowers in the Redmax lineup except the handheld. Husky makes good saws and trimmers as well.
Dolmar has some excelent saws with good pricing, we have people walk in and ask for the Dolmar and we dont even have to sell them on the product. We have had better luck with the Dolmar cutoff saws than the Husky units. (less repairs)

With the 2 you will have a great saw line, very good blowers, pretty good trimmers. Good luck.

Cam501
12-15-2007, 01:20 AM
We've done pretty well with Husky. Most all of their chainsaws large and small are excellent (the new 445 is the best $300 saw in my opinion), the blowers have gone from decent to excellent with the redmax units in the lineup and the new handheld is pretty good also. It sells for $149 and outperforms the Stihl BG65($199 and a bunch of themsitting on the shelf collecting dust). As for the trimmers, we don't sell anywhere near as many as we do Stihl but they're somewhat above average. The consumer models are decent but nothing special, the midsize pro models like the 326LS are pretty good and the fairly new 335LS is very good and I don't stock any of the larger clearing saws. The riders are pretty much standard AYP issue and do well. The walks are okay and make for a decent lower cost mower. I'd be leary of the commercial equipment though, particularly the ZTR's.(i'm partial to their hydro walks) The Z's are average units but it seems like nobody wants one period here and we no longer carry them in stock.
If i had to grade the line:
Chainsaws: A
Blowers A-(A when the 8000/8001 gets released in orange)
Trimmers: B
Riders:B+
Cutoff Saws:B
Consumer Walks:C+
Commercial Walks B+
ZTR's: C

tb8100
12-15-2007, 01:27 AM
I would go after Husky and Dolmar. Husky has all of the blowers in the Redmax lineup except the handheld. Husky makes good saws and trimmers as well.
Dolmar has some excelent saws with good pricing, we have people walk in and ask for the Dolmar and we dont even have to sell them on the product. We have had better luck with the Dolmar cutoff saws than the Husky units. (less repairs)

With the 2 you will have a great saw line, very good blowers, pretty good trimmers. Good luck.

That's an interesting idea. How are Honda trimmers? we'll have access to them if we can get a hold of the Hondas.

sawman
12-15-2007, 02:17 AM
Well, the Honda does not mix oil and gas - So it has its market. I doesnt sell to the comm. guys because of weight but homeowners love them. No big issuse with quality.

tb8100
12-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Well, the Honda does not mix oil and gas - So it has its market. I doesnt sell to the comm. guys because of weight but homeowners love them. No big issuse with quality.

Hmm...ok. That sucks that this little hardware store is carrying Redmax because they'll probably only move a handful of units per year. The rep agreed with me that it was dumb, but they don't want to crowd dealers and I respect that. The early bird gets the worm anyhow.

So let me summarize what we've covered so far:

Homeowner trimmers: Husky, Honda,
Commercial trimmers: Husky? Dolmar?
Homeowner blowers: Dolmar? (I see one handheld model on their site)
Commercial blowers: Husky, Dolmar
Saws: Husky and Dolmar make good saws
Edgers:

I've heard mixed reviews on Husky trimmers. Do they lack power? Quality? Are you guys working on them alot?

Are Dolmar trimmers good commercial units?

I was on Shindaiwa's site and they have quite a selection of products, particularly on the commercial end. It would be nice to work with a company that had a full selection of homeowner and commercial products, but if having a full selection of quality products means carrying two brands, so be it.

tb8100
12-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Looking at some of the different lines, I noticed that alot of handheld equipment manufacturers don't make a 40cc trimmer/brushcutter. Is there not much demand for trimmers with that sort of power?

I noticed Shindaiwa's 40cc (or 42cc or whatever) weighs 5# more than Stihl's equivelant model. That's alot!

mowingman
12-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Is it possible for you to get Shindaiwa? I can not remember if you said there was a dealer for that brand nearby.
We carry Shindaiwa as our second brand of handheld. The dist. is Buttery Company, out of LLano.
They have a complete line of machines, both 2 stroke and 4 stroke. We do not carry their 4 stroke machines, however the 2 stroke equipment is very nice. Prices are about the same as Redmax, but they only have a 1 year commercial warranty.
The distributor is very good to deal with, and they have a very low dollar requirement, to get set up.
We never get any of the Shindaiwa bac for warrant problems, and we do have some commercial guys who would not run anything else.
Jeff

GWB2006
12-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Is it possible for you to get Shindaiwa? I can not remember if you said there was a dealer for that brand nearby.

Nearest dealer (by the search) shows just over 20 miles away.

Trucker Joe
12-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Echo or Shindaiwa since Redmax is taken. We Sell Husqvarna but only the chain saws.

sawman
12-17-2007, 12:41 AM
Hmm...ok. That sucks that this little hardware store is carrying Redmax because they'll probably only move a handful of units per year. The rep agreed with me that it was dumb, but they don't want to crowd dealers and I respect that. The early bird gets the worm anyhow.

So let me summarize what we've covered so far:

Homeowner trimmers: Husky, Honda,
Commercial trimmers: Husky? Dolmar?
Homeowner blowers: Dolmar? (I see one handheld model on their site)
Commercial blowers: Husky, Dolmar
Saws: Husky and Dolmar make good saws
Edgers:

I've heard mixed reviews on Husky trimmers. Do they lack power? Quality? Are you guys working on them alot?

Are Dolmar trimmers good commercial units?

I was on Shindaiwa's site and they have quite a selection of products, particularly on the commercial end. It would be nice to work with a company that had a full selection of homeowner and commercial products, but if having a full selection of quality products means carrying two brands, so be it.

Some comm. guys have bought Honda trimmers and stick edgers but more Homeowners.

Husky has some good quality trimmers for comm. I have guys that will only run those.

The Dolmar handheld blower is good because of no mixing oil and gas. Not really a comm. unit but has its market.

Stick to Husky for the comm. blowers since its basically all redmax.

No problems here with quality on the Husky trimmers - light weight, plenty of power. The Dolmar is not a bad unit but dont have the comm. guys asking for them.

Shindy and Echo are both good choices and can sell well. We dont sell either - mainly because our Shindy distributor sucks and we constantly wait months for parts, and Echo just didnt fit in with what we already have.

Good luck!

tb8100
12-19-2007, 03:29 PM
The Huskys look nice, as do the Shindaiwas, but Echo is a really big name here. I think we'll go ahead and give Echo a shot (plus they have the Bearcat name, which we could use for walk behind trimmers). After a year or so, I imagine we can take Redmax as this little hardware store isn't going to move much product.

Thanks for all ya'lls help!

Trucker Joe
12-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Echo is a big name around here as well but they sell mainly at home depot. Kinda sucks but what can you do when you have 4 home depot stores with in 15 miles of your dealership. Also have 2 lowes and 5 or 6 sears stores. Factor that in with about 8 dealers with in that 15 miles and you've got some pretty stiff competition!

07-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Our handheld lines are Dolmar & Redmax. All of our chainsaw & Cutoff saw sales are Dolmar, Trimmers are 95% Redmax, Blowers, hedge trimmers. etc, are 99% Redmax.

We have sold Dolmar since 1979 and Redmax since 1992 and have a strong following of both lines.

Steve

Edge_&_Engine
07-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Hey 166 glad to see you over here.