PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Dealer requirements

papa sams
12-15-2006, 03:39 PM
How many members will have a problem keeping up the 10,000.00 min/year that our dist. is requiring to remain a dealer. We used to do this easy untill 4mix...Redmax sales have replaced alot of my stihl sales. My commercial customers are not happy with Stihl trimmers and blowers. In the beginning we had alot of motor failures, stihl was only paying 3/4 of and hour to tear down, diagnos and install new short block. This also included freight on short block, my net was only 29.00. My dist. is not very supportive unless u buy pallets. My rep hasn't been by in 3 years.. don't get me wrong I really like Stihl saws, they sell there self but it's getting harder and harder to deal with them as a company. Anyone else having similar problems?

mowingman
12-15-2006, 03:47 PM
We will never have to worry about having problems with Stihl. The worst lawn equipment dealer in town sells Stihl, and sells a lot of it. Because of that, the Stihl distributor will not let anyone else within about 50 miles sell the stuff. Really don't care though, as we sell Redmax, and are getting a lot of former Stihl users here at our shop. Pretty easy to sell Redmax against that 4 mix equipment.

dchd1130
12-15-2006, 04:38 PM
I have had just the opposit problem here we have had a ton of problems from the strato charged redmax machines and have had good luck with the 4 mix. differnt areas have differnt problems I suppose.

backpack
12-15-2006, 05:17 PM
We like both 4mix and strato. Sell landscapers Both stihl and red max trimers. But only stihl blowers to homeowners. Also push optomal for 4mix users. Red max blowers dominate landscaper sales.

AAELI
12-16-2006, 05:03 AM
Had no problems making the cut until Stihl opened another dealer less than 3 miles away. No dist. rep has ever visited to check local conditions. New dealer does not stock parts for repair, chosing to "special order" even pawls for saws. Poor service due to limited repair commitment with inexperienced mechanic. Attendance to service seminar does not a mechanic make.

After the new dealer opened the Stihl dist. mentioned we might work together and help the new dealer with service work. No thanks. We dropped the line midway through the year after purchasing $9500 of product.

It has made it hard to keep going but thats life.

SawDoc
12-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Maybe your problems are not with Stihl equipment, but with your distributor. We have been Stihl exclusive since Husqvarna canceled us in 2000 after 18 years as a dealer (we have had Stihl in the same location since 1971). The 4mix engines have been well received by our customers and what service problems we had have been handled expertly and promptly by our distributor's tech dept. We do not have a large commercial customer base, but a lot of the farmers in our area place heavy demands and lots of hours on their equipment, often with less maintenance than a landscaper would provide his equipment. A good distributor is a true business partner and realizes it's not just dollars or units but doing the best job possible in your market.

Hondo
12-16-2006, 12:54 PM
why'd your distributor open another dealer so close on such a small island like Guam? did you have problems with them? Ol hondo may be hard to work with, but no reps ever tried to open someone 3 miles away.

dchd1130
12-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Stihl sets just about everyone up. Its nice they dont go into the box stores but they will set up a dealer on every corner which can hurt you too.

AAELI
12-16-2006, 10:57 PM
The main problem is that our Stihl distributor was Pacific Stihl in Visalia, California and they have NEVER made a site visit. When a smooth, fast talking paint salesman represented himself as a heaven-sent dealer they jumped on his bandwagon. He worked himself into their radar zone by giving them the impression that he was looking to buy us out. Without taking time to verify his ability or experience they jumped to the tune of money.

There are few people here who will take the time to complain to Stihl clear across the world many time zones and one day behind. The few who do don't make much difference to the distributor. We now have a dist. from the P.I. who is looking to open a branch here and retail along with his wholesale.

We found that Pacific Stihl had a problem with following their printed marketing program to the letter. Many of the management personnel we contacted had not read the program fully and had problems with dealers who had. We found that doing business with dist. who had no idea as to local conditions is difficult.

I like the products but not the management between me and the producer of the product.

Karin
01-23-2007, 10:09 PM
We have been a Stihl Dealer for 6 yrs and Elite Dealer for 2 years. Prev. dealer for Echo and Jonsered. Stihl and our distributor have been outstanding to work with. Have had no problems with the 4-mix. Any warranty work is paid for promptly and fairly. We are extremly happy with Stihl and its products. Any problems...speak with someone from Va.Beach.

nop
01-27-2007, 10:18 AM
like karin,we also have been stihl elite for 2 yrs. and a dealer for 5 yrs.
we live in a town of 3200 and a county of 15000 and sell a ton of stihl equip. and parts.
we have had nothing but good things happen as a result of being stihl elite.
i really believe it comes down to the relationship the dealer can have with the distributor/mfg. if you dont have a support system with whomever you deal with a positive outcome is much harder to acheive.

z28 1980
01-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Very well said nop, we too enjoy a good business relationship with both our distributor and our dist. rep.! Stihl has been a great line for us for sales, service, and parts. When we have a problem with a unit we get great support from our entire distributor staff! It really makes a big difference to have people you can count on at the distributor level.

aeguy010
01-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Very well said nop, we too enjoy a good business relationship with both our distributor and our dist. rep.! Stihl has been a great line for us for sales, service, and parts. When we have a problem with a unit we get great support from our entire distributor staff! It really makes a big difference to have people you can count on at the distributor level.

I agree Bryan Eq makes great strides to ensure their staff is knowledgeable, friendly and available, I have never had anything they wouldn't work with me on in the warranty department,